Panama City Beach Conditions during late fall/winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Since Ivan and such stirred up the Gulf and conditions are not the greatest. I'm thinking about waiting until a little later to dive the Gulf again out of Panama City Beach. The dive shop I use said that water temps were warm/favoriable until about Thanksgiving although they run the boats all year long.
So my question is what are conditons (seas, vis, temps) like late fall / winter? I have an Xcel 2.0/1.5 mil Titanium that I can wear under my 3mil jumpsuit, is this enough?

What have your experiences been?

Thanks,
Jeremy

You'd probably be OK with the 3mm alone until Dec/Jan/early Feb, unless you are really warm natured.

Vis will vary. Seas will vary.

Ivan's affects on the gulf will not be a variable offshore already, and inshore withing a week or two.

From my log book last November 1: no thermocline, 74 degree water (to 106 feet, Stage One), 30-40 ft. vis, slow currents (nothing to fight with) and positively glassy seas. I remember a lack of jellies and getting chilled after the second dive but I get chilled pretty easily. Wore 5mm all over, beanie and thin gloves. I think the Gulf around there takes a while to get cold, I bet Thanksgiving would be fine for most folks. Take lots of fleece for apres dive!

Thanks for the replys. I dove there late March this year and the water was pretty cool. I wore a 3mil john/shorty and was fine but didn't know if the water was colder in Dec./Jan. than in March/April

Thanks Bugman, I think I will book a trip in a few weeks. If nothing else maybe a shore dive at the jetties since it will be cheap.

Thanks,
Jeremy

No prob

I usually wear a simple 1/2mil until the end of Oct or the beginning of Nov. Novemeber is when the water starts to get chilly, and you may want to look into gloves or a hoody, or maybe a thicker wetsuit depending on your own comfort level. It doesn't get really cold until mid Dec thru mid Feb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom