Wind Direction with regard to Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atpeach

Registered
Reaction score
:crafty: My question is what is the direction of the wind to have the best dive conditions? I'm trying to find out if the dive conditions this Saturday will be good enough to go out and dive. I'm thinking about calling and reserving a spot on the Ibis so let me know if anyone is interested. It is out of Dania at the Sea Legs docking area.

atpeach:
:crafty: My question is what is the direction of the wind to have the best dive conditions? I'm trying to find out if the dive conditions this Saturday will be good enough to go out and dive. I'm thinking about calling and reserving a spot on the Ibis so let me know if anyone is interested. It is out of Dania at the Sea Legs docking area.

A off shore wind would be the best, if the wind is coming from seaward then it has a great distance to build Waves, off shore tends to flatten the sea's.

The biggest thing about wind speed and direction is what it does to the surface. A brisk wind pusies more water, therefore larger swells. It also matters greatly on the depth of the dive spot. Underwater wind matters little.

For example, when the wind is out of the west (heading east), it pushes the waves on the beach up. A good day for surfing. But go out a mile, and the same wind could possibly do nothing to the size of the swell.

What you may want to be more concerned with at Dania is current and visibility. Unless you are trying to eliminate motion sickness.

But I could be wrong.

Joe

cdiver2:
A off shore wind would be the best, if the wind is coming from seaward then it has a great distance to build Waves, off shore tends to flatten the sea's.

That makes alot of sense. But it also brings up another question. Winter months are much rougher, and typically we have north or northwesterly wind, right? Why are the seas rougher?

cdiver2:

So offshore would be westerly winds, not easterly.

atpeach:
So offshore would be westerly winds, not easterly.

Only in California. Winds are stated as "out of the East" (Easterly) or from the direction they are coming towards you. Easterly from the East or Westerly from the West. An offshore wind in SE Florida would be an Easterly wind.

Joe

JustJoe:
That makes alot of sense. But it also brings up another question. Winter months are much rougher, and typically we have north or northwesterly wind, right? Why are the seas rougher?

North/north east, the wind is traveling over open water therefore waves build up. When the wind is coming off the land there is no time for the waves to build up until you get a lot further out

cdiver2:
you want the wind from the west in your location. East. North or south the waves have time to build up

This is correct when doing beach dives on the east coast of Florida. An easy way to remember is: West is Best - East is Least

When your on a dive boat ( Drifting ) it does not make that much of a difference. If you have a concern on how tall the waves are, call the boat and ask the captain what the weather conditions are. Remember you are the final decision maker on your safety.

Good Luck

Dive Safely

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom