Central Florida Meet and Greet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OrlandoRogue

Contributor
Reaction score
Those of us who live in Central Florida are well aware of the plethora of dive clubs that exist here-some associated with local dive shops, some not. Based upon comments from those in the area, however, these club meetings are lacking. Some SB Central Floridians belong to them, some do not. Even those who do belong to a local club, do not have the opportunity to meet all the divers living in the Central Florida area. So...I thought I would throw out a suggestion!

I would like to suggest a Central Florida meet and greet for SB members. It could be a monthly gathering that offers local divers something to do on a weeknight when we landlocked masses cannot get out and dive. It wouldn't have to be any official meeting, just an opportunity to swap stories, suggestions and socialize. I will even offer up my place for the first meeting (and potential following ones if successful!). I would like to suggest a trial meet and greet at my place in Altamonte Springs on Tuesday evening, October 26th at 7:30pm. Drinks and snacks will be provided. Anyone interested?

Yes, we'd be intersted I won't attend I work from 3pm-11pm my wife may go depending on her schedule. But it's still a good idea and nice for you to offer hosting the first meet and greet.

My experance with things like this in the past is the host seems to get stuck cleaning up after everyone and the generosity of hosting does not get spread amongst the group. So, I would suggest looking for a public place, this way you are not cleaning up for a week afterwards, maybe a resturant, or park ?

Dogs on the grill and surface recreation gear to get something going?

sylvester:
Yes, we'd be intersted I won't attend I work from 3pm-11pm my wife may go depending on her schedule. But it's still a good idea and nice for you to offer hosting the first meet and greet.

My experance with things like this in the past is the host seems to get stuck cleaning up after everyone and the generosity of hosting does not get spread amongst the group. So, I would suggest looking for a public place, this way you are not cleaning up for a week afterwards, maybe a resturant, or park ?

Dogs on the grill and surface recreation gear to get something going?

Sylvester-

Wow, it is a rare man that thinks of the hostess and the aftermath! I don't count on it being a large group of people, so I don't mind offering my place for the first trial run. As simbrooks can tell you, I love having reasons to throw dinner parties or other such gatherings, so I don't mind at all. If the group turns out to be huge (and messy), then we can always meander to a park or the local pub which is a favorite of our's! Thanks for the suggestions. I look forward to meeting you and your wife at some point in the near future.

I would imagine i am free for this, lets just see what the turnout is before we decide on potential venue moves. :wink:

As always i am sure my roommate can come along and meet some more divers in the area.

I have also been informed that Dutchfin would like to come along as well. Also we might have Chuck and Shelly aka cra2 along. So that is a few of us already pencilled in hopefully and more to come! :wink:

OrlandoRogue:
Those of us who live in Central Florida are well aware of the plethora of dive clubs that exist here-some associated with local dive shops, some not. Based upon comments from those in the area, however, these club meetings are lacking. Some SB Central Floridians belong to them, some do not. Even those who do belong to a local club, do not have the opportunity to meet all the divers living in the Central Florida area. So...I thought I would throw out a suggestion!

I would like to suggest a Central Florida meet and greet for SB members. It could be a monthly gathering that offers local divers something to do on a weeknight when we landlocked masses cannot get out and dive. It wouldn't have to be any official meeting, just an opportunity to swap stories, suggestions and socialize. I will even offer up my place for the first meeting (and potential following ones if successful!). I would like to suggest a trial meet and greet at my place in Altamonte Springs on Tuesday evening, October 26th at 7:30pm. Drinks and snacks will be provided. Anyone interested?
Would love to come but I am a little to far away (southwest central florida) and work to late. Hope to meet some of you soon though.

Only if you time it so I don't have to deal with too much traffic. I haven't had to deal with Orlando rush hour in about 6 months, and I don't miss it at all.

Seriously, sounds like a good idea. But you will have to elaborate on the " drinks" that will be provided, hehe.

scubafool:
But you will have to elaborate on the " drinks" that will be provided, hehe.

For the honor your presence, David, I am open to suggestions. 7:30pm-8:00pm for starting time should beat the O-town traffic, but if you are coming down I-4 westbound, I am east of the city, so you avoid going through the downtown chaos. Hope you can make it (and also hope to some day test out my cavern skills on a dive with you and Simon!)

OrlandoRogue:
For the honor your presence, David, I am open to suggestions. 7:30pm-8:00pm for starting time should beat the O-town traffic, but if you are coming down I-4 westbound, I am east of the city, so you avoid going through the downtown chaos. Hope you can make it (and also hope to some day test out my cavern skills on a dive with you and Simon!)

HEY EVERYONE, BEER BASH AT BECKY'S!!! LOL

Altamonte @ 7:30 shouldn't be bad traffic wise, so put me down. I just marked it down on my calendar.

Whenever you decide to set up some cavern dives, let me know & I will do my best to make it.

scubafool:
Whenever you decide to set up some cavern dives, let me know & I will do my best to make it.
Tomorrow, Blue Spring, 1.30ish.

:bounce: Ahm youh Huckleberreigh! :bounce:

1 dive or two? Will you be diving air or Nitrox? My primry is STILL missing some critical parts, but I volunteer to lead in now that you have found & shown me some of the better tie-off points. :D Will Becky be able to make it? :bounce:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom