Good grief, I've lost my thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
I know I wrote one but I can't find it. I even had a reply, but I can't find that, either.
I am a New England diver, new to diving, snorkeling for the last century [or so it seems]. My parents migrate south to Bonita Springs each winter. I will be visiting in Mid-January and would very much love to go diving. Can someone please tell me where I can find a group to go diving with while I am there? I really, really, really want to go diving. Thanks for your help!!

Kay it appears you asked about Naples in your intro thread. To find threads you have started or messages you have posted click on your name "Kay" on any message you have posted and then on "view public profile", about mid-way down the page there are two more links for "view all posts" or "view threads started by" - i sometimes use this function if someone is asking a question regarding something i had already asked about.

As for diving around SW FL, for us residents the water is starting to get chilly in january along the Gulf coast (around Naples - cant recall where Bonita is off the top of my head) at around 60+/-, for you bathwater i am sure :wink: On the east coast you are likely to get low 70's. I as well as dozens of others are always up for a dive and dont mind meeting up with out of towners to show them the area.

Geography of places i have yet to visit or dive in this state are a lot more hazy than those i know and love - i know we even do work there, but i dont visit those sites. :wink:

Even so, Kay, give a heads up a week or two (up to a month i would say) before you are due to come and people should make it obvious if they are up for a dive.

Well, thanks for helping me out. Actually, my parents live on the Naples/Bonita line, so I kind of use the two interchangably.

Thanks, Walter, for the offer. I would love to go. I am not daunted by the prospect of water in the 60's. Our water here is about 50 and I didn't perish. Of course, 70's sounds a lot more enticing, though.

I will be there in mid-January, I believe we arrive the 13th and depart the 17th, just for a long weekend.

Walter, do you have a specific place that is your favorite? Shore dives or boat dives? Can I rent equipment? Maybe I'll buy some by then, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Hey all-

I live on Fort Myers Beach and am always up for meeting new people. I have only been here about a year and a half, but have been wet at least once a month since moving here.

The real issue with diving in January is the weather. There are some very fun dives in the Gulf, especially when it comes to viewing sea life. Edison Reef is about twenty miles from Big Hickory Pass in Bonta Beach in about 50 ft. It is an artificial reef consisting of the old Edison Bridge concrete complete with interesting structure, tons of Goliath Grouper, sharks, Cuda, etc... In the winter one really has to watch the weather or have a BIG boat as the wind can kick up in seconds. Of course this is true everywhere inthe winter, but sites in the Keys and East Coast are not a two hour boat ride. In other words I am pretty sketchy about diving the winter months.

I was born and raised here, but have only been diving a short time, I do know the edison reef or the parts I have hit have been good for some smaller fish but still have yet to hit the Larger part of it. I haven't dove in the winter yet But will give it a go.

Let us know as it gets closer. I know Cbulla may have a party around that time as he B-day falls between your dates. so be Forewarned, could be a big group for diving.....

Would it be better to go over to Key Largo at that time of year? Don't recall how long the drive is though. Or, isn't there a daily ferry from Naples to Key West? What do you think?

And, your buddy should be warned that its my birthday,too, that weekend!

A little novice question here....as often as I've been snorkeling, I have never seen a shark. May I assume those are NICE sharks out on that reef?

Kay:
May I assume those are NICE sharks out on that reef?

Only the nicest, unless you owe them money.

Joe

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom