Diving at Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
It has been 15 years since I last dove Hawaii and that was at the\
Big Island, Maui and Lanii. This coming July I will be going to Kauai
with my wife on an anniversary vacation. Since I hate to go anywhere with out my dive gear I am wondering if there is any diving there at all ? If so, I would appreciate any suggestions as to dive operations and dive sites. As I recall from looking at my old dive logs the water there is in the low 70's. Fell free to contact me on the board or at Bayert@acegroup .cc

Dear Professor,

Indeed there is diving on Kauai.

My 3rd choice for diving Hawaii, after the Big Island & Maui is Kauai, IMHO the prettiest of the islands. It also has one of the best shops, Bubbles Below, located down south where the weather tends to be better. Linda, co-owner & DM, is the most knowledgeable & enthusiastic marine biologist I have met. Great educational lectures during surface intervals. On one trip she pulled out a box of crab claws & demonstrated what the features of the claws told one about the life of the particular species. She knows where the rare stuff is, like boarfish & Hawaiian morwong. Los of turtles at Sheraton Caves & Sheraton Tunnels. Do the 3 tank dive trip to Niihau if you are an experienced diver & they are running it (long boat ride & very weather dependent; you should have a good chance at it in July)--several spectacular walls that go down well over 200'.

Don't miss the Na Pali coast (featured in opening scenes of sequel to sequel of "Jurassic Park," "Lost World") in the far north, dinner at Roy's & A Pacific Cafe (both expensive but unique & worth it; creative pan-Asian cuisine), and a drink at sunset at the Princeville Hotel (talk about "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous"). Northern coast is rainiest, southern coast (Poipu) is sunniest. Can stay in middle around Kapaa & do both. Outrigger Resort is quite nice for the price, although beach is just so so. Think about doing a helicopter tour of the island if the weather is good -- worth the cost. Nice golf courses at Princeville & Marriott resorts.

Take adequate thermal protection, as you'll likely be looking at 77 plus/minus a degree.

Hope this proved informative.

DocVikingo

Doc Vikingo: Thank you very much for your informative reply to my query about diving Kauai. I will certainly heed your recommendations. Out of curiosity, were you on board the Little Cayman Diver in the early summer of 1994 ? If so, we were roomates in cabin number 3. Thanks again ! The Professor

Hi Professor,

No, I have not done the Little Cayman Diver.

Hope it was a good time.

DocVikingo

I 2nd the Bubbles Below reccomendation - had and awesome dive day with them in 2000. would dive with them in a second!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom