Better Vis. as you go south?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we had over 100' of viz (and a ripping current) at the Duane. We could literally see the ocean floor (130' down) from the surface. At the south end of Molasses, we had 80'. North of Key Largo, the viz seems to vary greatly, perhaps depending on the timing of freshwater drainage. I've heard reports of 15' one day, followed by reports of 60' or better the next. How 'bout it Kev... Scott... Marvel... what gives?

Hi Don:

I was invited to dive off a friend's boat yesterday (10/9). We dove the inside and top of the third reef south of Port Everglades. Vis was low. This was my first dive after Frances and Jeanne and reminded me of my first dives after Andrew in 1992. The reef is silted over bad. The large basket sponges seem unaffected and many of the gorgonia look good. Most of the hard corals and encrusting sponges are covered over.

The silver lining seems to be the end of the red fuzz algae plague. There was some left but most had blown away. No codium (that green carpet stuff) either.

Bugs were absent from the stretches of reef we dove. The fish are still there. I noticed a lot of gag grouper. I thought this was a late fall or early winter fish and cannot remember so many of them in early October.

The reef came back after Andrew and will revive itself again. In the meantime we have to be happy with what we have.

I am curious if others in the area share my observations or have anything to add. I do not normally dive Fort Lauderdale. My "splashing grounds" are Deerfield beach through Delray. My usual dive boat is not functioning and it will be a while before I can get out up here.

Regards to all

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom