Looking for new fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gaudencio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I'm planning to buy new fins. any suggestion on which brand is good.
I'm just a sport diver and new in u/w photography. I use to own a mares plana graphite. I have used it really long more than 10 yrs I think. ( 400 dives++) but sad to say it's cracking up on top the shoe pocket. Do you also have any comments on those long fin's by beauchat or cressi-sub. My friend said that it has grat propulsion, but it easily cracked at the middle of the fins after 5-6 yrs.

Thanks
Jimmy t. :dazzler1:

IMHO Scubapro Jetfins are probably the best all purpose fins. If you like splits, it's hard to beat Apollo's Biofin Pro. I have both types (I use the Scubapro a lot more though).

If you get serious about photography, you're likely to find your self wanting to develop some fairly fine control, including back kicking, sculling, etc. Also techniques to avoid stirring up sand/silt like modified flutter kick, frog kick, etc.

Vie's suggestion of the Scubapro Jet Fin is a very good one for this. They aren't flashy, they're pretty heavy, but they are excellent for control once you learn how to use them. They will also last just about forever.

I haven't tried it but I believe back kicking is pretty hard to do with split fins.

Henryville:
I haven't tried it but I believe back kicking is pretty hard to do with split fins.

indeed.

Hi,
I will try those IMHO Scubapro Jetfins at the shops. Though I don't like the looks of those split type. Well thanks again.
Jim

I've also been looking at purchasing Scubapro Split Jet Fins..... They are available in different composites - just wondering if anyone can provide feedback on the buoyancy characteristics (positive / negative) as they relate to actual usage?

You can't beat Scubapro Jet Fins. They are indistructable, they can be used in any environment, they can be used with any kicking technique, and they are relatively inexpensive compared to other fins.

gaudencio:
Hi,
I'm planning to buy new fins. any suggestion on which brand is good.
I'm just a sport diver and new in u/w photography. I use to own a mares plana graphite. I have used it really long more than 10 yrs I think. ( 400 dives++) but sad to say it's cracking up on top the shoe pocket. Do you also have any comments on those long fin's by beauchat or cressi-sub. My friend said that it has grat propulsion, but it easily cracked at the middle of the fins after 5-6 yrs.

Thanks
Jimmy t. :dazzler1:

you mentioned Beuchat's and Cressi's long fins, are you referring to the freediving fin? If so, they won't benefit you much in photo or scuba for that matter. They will, however, provide you with a great deal of thrust assuming your legs are ready for the full effect of the fin. I have tried Cressi's and like them. Never tried Beuchat. Sporasub is a good long blade fin.

freediver:
you mentioned Beuchat's and Cressi's long fins, are you referring to the freediving fin? If so, they won't benefit you much in photo or scuba for that matter. They will, however, provide you with a great deal of thrust assuming your legs are ready for the full effect of the fin. I have tried Cressi's and like them. Never tried Beuchat. Sporasub is a good long blade fin.

But my friends use it for diving, though they spearfish with scuba. Beauchat have fins that are full foot or with straps. I'm not sure if it's good when doing photography. though we always have currents here in our place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom