Do any shops sell tanks on Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been to a couple of diveshops asking about buying tanks (I want to use DIN which are not readily available for rental) the only dive shop so far to tell me a price was "$150' oh plus $89 shipping . . . oh and you have to buy 12 at a time. Needless to say I don't want 12 tanks, just 2. (that was Aluminum 80's by the way) Preferably I'd like to find some PST tanks, but I'd even go with used Aluminum 80's at this point (I already have valves, just need tanks that are in good shape)

So any thoughts on where to check or what Dive shops to contact? I have thought about the Maui Bulletin . . .

Thanks - Tim

P.S. I could probably even arrange shipping from Oahu if you know a shop over there.

Hey Uncle Pug -

I actually already have the DIN valves, it's just tanks (the quote I was given was for tanks with no valve - it was extra for Yoke)

Everyone seems to rent tanks here, but I can't seem to find anyone that sells them. One shop has offered to sell me one aluminum 72 that has current hydro (used) but it will take them 2-3 days just to give me a quote on how much they will sell it to me for (and I don't want a 72 anyway, unless eventually just as an O2 bottle, which is WAY beyond my experience level at this point)

Tim

P.S. I forgot to add, that the shop I get air fills from deducts 30% if you own the tank - so I figure it will pay for itself in a few months

$2 if I own my own tank, $3-$5 if I don't (depending on the shop, etc..)

I'm sure there is a shop that sells tanks, I just haven't found it yet (I was hoping some more experienced folks here in Hawaii would know :wink: )

part of the problem is that I live in Lahaina, so most of the LDS in my area are more "into" activity sales and time-share, than equipment.

Tim

P.S. and a few months is probably an exageration - if I could find a tank for $200 at my current rate of planned dives it will be 10-11 months.

Have you considered ordering online and paying to have them shipped directly? What would the shipping be from the West Coast? I'd bring you a couple in my checked bagage in Dec but I don't think TSA would let me. :D

thanks for the offer - I have spoken with Mar-Vel (in NJ) about tanks - it would be about $50-$75 shipping, so a little less cost in the end. I have not checked with anyone on the westcoast yet as I was hoping to find a local supplier for the "heavier" items (I have no qualms about internet ordering - lol)

an aluminum 80 after shipping would be about $170 from mar-vel.com plus another $20 for vis on my end. Amazing how hard some LDS work to NOT get business from their customers ;-)

If I'm going to order I may just wait till PST E7-100's are available again since that would be my preference of tanks anyway.

Tim

P.S. so which islands are you visiting in Dec? If Maui it would be great to meet you - maybe join me and my neighbors for a bbq?

Hope you all have a great time - I've heard only good things about Severn's and Robinson's.

Boomx and I have already spoken about his visit and a possible "intro" dive together (I'm interested in DIR-F)

Your whole group would be welcome to come over too - It would be nice to put some faces to the names.

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom