Oct 14-15 diving in Ft. Lauderdale area, or thereabouts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I chatted with my roommate last night (after he got back from his latest week away for work) and he said that he would be down around Ft Lauderdale on wednesday and once he had done his work there, that he might stay thursday and friday to dive a bit. I had previously booked off friday for another trip that fell through and after working a little this weekend, i might think of leaving early on thursday and keeping my day off on friday to go down to the SE coast to do a little diving. This might make up for some of the dive time missed due to the hurricanes and so as long as conditions are ok i would be looking to get in a few dives before the weekend. I also might be picking up some tanks off a guy who lives in Boca - just another reason to put this trip together and allows me sunday to try them out in a safe lake before really diving with them.

So my preliminary thoughts are to travel down on thursday afternoon, try to make a late afternoon maybe and a night dive (i was wondering what thoughts on Commercial pier?), then friday i would just hit a few shoreline areas (i guess most people are working though - maybe i'll go with my roommate who knows) for a couple of dives that day.

It looks like conditions are slowly getting better on the coast according to the 10/9 dives off hibiscus, are there still chances of rip currents? Have the waves settled down now - so viz can clear up?

Saturday it might be Bradenton with Chuck, not sure of anyone else yet, sunday at Lk Denton with the new doubles - i can handle 4 days diving in a row :wink:

So who is up for any dives thursday or friday?? I might stump for a boat dive, but cant be sure quite yet, more than likely though if the viz looks blown out.

Oh my god! Simon diving on doubles!
If you think his dive reports from one single tank dive are lengthy enough already, can you imagine the volumes that will be produced from even one doubles dive.
The gigabytes needed is mind boggling!:eek:
Don't say I didn't warn you!

I got tired of you staying down longer than me with your larger tank, so i thought i would just finish the arguement off and get the biggest tanks i could and double them up - lets see you beat that!!! :wink: My dive reports, long, detailed, now you are getting personal!! Ok, so is anyone up for any dives later this week?? I am guessing the old man of The Villages is just grumpy that he cant stump the gas to get down those couple of days. :wink:

simbrooks:
I got tired of you staying down longer than me with your larger tank, so i thought i would just finish the arguement off and get the biggest tanks i could and double them up - lets see you beat that!!!
Hmmm.now you'll be really long winded.:scubadive

Looking at my finances again, maybe i shouldnt splurge for the tanks, but that doesnt mean i cant take a long weekend to dive :wink:

So, any locals thinking of being around and up for a night dive on LBTS and any other dives after work? I guess it will just be me and my roommate during friday daytime. I should imagine i will drive over to Bradenton on saturday morning to meet up with Smokey.

simbrooks:
I am guessing the old man of The Villages is just grumpy that he cant stump the gas to get down those couple of days. :wink:
Ya know why I'm grumpy? Last Sunday I went to the video store to get some movies and as I was checking out the cashier, an old fart, said to me "Thursday is Senior Day and you can rent movies 2 for 1."
I was going to leap over the counter and strangle him but my lumbago was acting up.
%#^$$^%&$# Grey hair!!!!!!! Hand me that Grecian Formula.
Arrrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Where are the locals?? Can anyone post on conditions as they stand, availability to dive thursday night or friday anytime? I will check weather this afternoon, see if the winds seem to be cooperating or are forecast to as the weekend approaches.

SmokeAire:
Hmmm.now you'll be really long winded.:scubadive

No comment.

Ya'll missed an awesome dive! We saw a shark, a huge turtle, parrotfish, moray eels, octopi! The vis was a big improvement over last weekend, and there was no surge. However, there was a nice north running current, so we headed south and east to the second reef. At one time we came accross what looked like an old pipeline of some sort. There was a lot of growth and interesting colors.
I even let me eyes get accoustomed to the dark and played with the bioluminensence. Fun. Dive was cut short because we ran out of water coming in and missed the two hour mark by 5 minutes.
Good diving with ya Krista and Simon, and nice meeting Jeff.

I wasnt too amazed at the amount of sea life on the reef (except lobsters), only the variety we saw. We swam into the current for the best part of an hour and when Krista popped up to check on location we were almost in Oakland Park!! Drifting back towards shore and LBTS we continued to see a whole host of stuff.

10/15 we dove somewhere near the erojacks - we didnt find them, reef was a bit sparse, surfers were taking to the waves down by Dania pier, but the viz was up surprisingly for that amount of action. We swam around for ages and didnt see much, but navigation skills got a good work out :wink: We then moved onto Oakland Park, namely Vista park, essentially the southern end of the same reef up by LBTS. We swam out to the backside of the first reefline and found some nice areas with little damage as well as huge schools of fish, good viz and the like. I thought there was more life there than further north, but we didnt get quite the same range, just lots of a few types. Krista, Jeff (my roommate) and myself had a good couple of dives, but from a late awakening, waiting on fills and lunch it was only two dives for the day. Shame Marvel couldnt have made it with us, the draw of work was just too great compared to the rest of us on vacation days :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom