Running Oceanic OceanLog on Virtual PC/Mac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone ever used Oceanic's OceanLog program on a Mac by using Virtual PC? I'm not sure which version of Virtual PC is best and whether it'll work. I'm currently using OSX 10.2.8.

Yes, I've just successfully done this. On a Powerbook running 10.3.5, with Virtual PC 6.1 running Windows 98. I did have trouble getting the Windows driver loaded for the USB port, but once that was done, it worked.

If I can manage to figure out the communications protocol it uses, I will add support for Oceanic computers to DiveLog, my Mac-based dive management software. See http://divelog.actwin.com for more info.

-Mark

Thank you so much for info.

maractwin:
I did have trouble getting the Windows driver loaded for the USB port, but once that was done, it worked.

So how did you do this?

Just installing the software didn't get the right driver installed. So I used the Windows control panel to update the driver, then, used the Browse button to get to the "USB Driver" directory on the CDrom before it would find the correct driver file.

thank you for your help - I just ordered Virtual PC for Mac V.7

Do you have problems with viruses at all after running Windows on your Mac?
I have a PowerBook G4 and it cannot handle the small format CD that is provided by Oceanic for OceanLog - I'm going to download from www.oceanicworldwide.com
Do you just simply move the file onto the Virtual PC window from the Mac Finder?

It's not a bad idea to have virus protection for your Virtual PC, though I don't on mine and haven't gotten any viruses.

It depends on how you use it. Mine is always run from behind a network firewall. I don't read email on it, generally only visit websites that I've designed myself, and run the occasional program that I can't get a Mac version of. If I used this PC on the net more, I would definately get virus protection for it.

Yes, you can transfer files from the Mac to the PC by dragging the finder icon.

-Mark

One more question - if I use Disk Doctor and Speed Disk from Norton SystemWorks, with Virtual PC installed on my computer, would that screw it up?

maractwin If I can manage to figure out the communications protocol it uses:
http://divelog.actwin.com[/url] for more info.

-Mark

Mark, any chance that you'll add the protocol for Dive Rite / Apeks computers? the interface will be USB, if they ever get them out. don't know about the protocols though.

J.

I'd like to support a lot of different computers. Which ones I support and when will depend on whether I get any support from the manufacturers and whether I can borrow one to use while debugging the program. None of my dive buddies are using Apeks computers, so I'd have to figure out where to get one.

Back
Top Bottom