Dan Grenier lost at sea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mderousse

Registered
Reaction score
I just recieved a disturbing phone call from a mutual friend of Dan Grenier Crystal Divers Fiji. Dan and his childrens' 20 year old nanny were diving with a group of four from the Bamboo Reef Resort. Dan and the nanny did a drift dive while the others dove the reef. The idea was the boat captain, his wife Alisi, would pick them up on the other side of the reef. They haven't been seen since. the bottom has been thoroughly searched, and air search is continuing now, but it has been over 50 hours. Hoping for a happy ending.

Wow, lets hope this is not another statistic............ Welcome to the forum btw. I will not do a drift dive ever again without a safety sausage.

ShakaZulu:
Wow, lets hope this is not another statistic............ Welcome to the forum btw.
I will not do a drift dive ever again without a safety sausage.

I don't know if you know of Dan Grenier, but he has been a real pioneer in Fiji diving in particular, from the Lau group and Loma Loma to his latest venture at Nananui Ra with the new Bamboo Beach Resort. Check out Undercurrent references to Crystal Divers to get an insight into the quality dive operations he has run. I have trouble believing Dan would do a drift dive without having the boat "chasing" him, but don't know all the particulars. I also would have believed he had a safety sausage. He was a graduate of the Santa Barbara Community College tech dive program.

Ah sh!t - we were just at Bamboo Beach a few months ago, didn't have the pleasure of meeting Dan as he was holidaying in the US at the time. I hope he's just been taken for a ride downcurrent.

Fingers crossed for a happy outcome.

mderousse, can you keep us updated on this situation please - I'm sure the resort & Crystal Divers don't want to be inundated with phonecalls seeking information at this stage.

Scubaroo:
Ah sh!t - we were just at Bamboo Beach a few months ago, didn't have the pleasure of meeting Dan as he was holidaying in the US at the time. I hope he's just been taken for a ride downcurrent.

Fingers crossed for a happy outcome.

mderousse, can you keep us updated on this situation please - I'm sure the resort & Crystal Divers don't want to be inundated with phonecalls seeking information at this stage.
I'll be happy to, and hoping for a happy outcome. as you say.

Just spoke to my wife about this, apparently one of the girls from Crystal Divers we did a couple of dives with one day was actually the nanny. Young girl from Australia, really nice. Hope they're okay.

Received this yesterday.

"Subj: Dan Grenier lost
Date: 9/2/2004 6:19:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time
To: Ben Davidson , Brandon Cole ,David Gamach , David Miller ,Robert Persons

We apologise for this way of advising you all.

Dan Grenier, whom you all know, has been missing at sea - as of today 48 hours. We have numerous planes and boats out searching and we have not given up hope and will continue the search for a while yet.

Desperately need donations to keep the search alive. Any assistance is appreciated.

Please call on Fiji 679 6694747

Lynette Mercer
Mike Agnew
Alesi Grenier.

Please pass this on to all his dive buddies. We cant find his address book. Thanks"

Received this today:

"Mother joins search for missing daughter in Fiji
Friday, 3 September 2004

The mother of a NSW far south coast woman missing overseas while skindiving is flying to Fiji today to join in the search for her daughter.

Janice Gibbons learnt on Tuesday that her daughter, Danielle, 27, was missing while learning how to dive near the large southern island of Viti Levu.

Mrs Gibbons says Danielle and the dive master were dropped off at one end of a reef by the dive boat.

When the two divers failed to return to the boat, a search was mounted.

She says she has appealed to the Australian Government to direct personnel to help with the search, but her pleas so far have fallen on deaf ears.

"At the moment we're pleading with the authorities to use all their resources available to assist in the search," she said. "The locals are helping over there and doing a wonderful job, but they've had two nights in the water."

"I just want everyone to help, in particular the Australian Navy and Air Force. Apparently they are in the area, they're in the Solomon Islands, and they can come over, but we have to plead with the authorities for that to happen.'"

Spoke with Fiji today and as of 2 am still no trace. Air and land grid search continues.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Excerpts from an email I received about midnight of Sep 3:

"No, no new news. I taked w/Fiji abut 10 minutes ago -- , they have had a plane (with Joiji in it as passenger/look out), and a helicopter, along w/Fijian Navy (1 boat) and other "yachties" and about 10 other boats of friends searching. No sightings.

Speculation is that Daniella, the kids' new school teacher from Australia, and Dan were at Mary's Maytag, Daniella was caught in current, Dan went after her.

We're asking for donations, to keep the search going. The cost is FJD$1,000 for 5 hrs for the plane or helicopter.

You can phone the Bamboo Reef Divers USA telephone: 815-483-9835 for search updates on a daily basis, or to leave a message."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom