Sharks Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I passed by sharks cove yesterday....looked a lot quieter over there...is the season pretty much over?

Generally, the season's over when that little beach which everybody uses on the restroom-side, and which blocks up the lagoon during summer, gets pretty much washed away. The cove itself may be calm but the currents coming down from Sunset can be bookin'; easily seen by looking seaward. Diving still possible with 1-2ft waves but the entry/exit over the rocks will be "exciting" and the surge will be annoying until you get down to 40ft or below. Generally, it'll be snotty unless it's a truly flat day.

North Shore diving season is over for me basically by mid September. That's about the time when you can't assume the surf will be flat every weekend - and since I'm not able to really fly by the seat of my pants when I plan my dives, I just don't do North Shore dives past that time.

Sometimes even if the surf is 1-2 this time of the year, the surge (and the resultant murkiness) doesn't make it the best dive for me. I guess I'm spoiled. :wink:

justleesa:
I passed by sharks cove yesterday....looked a lot quieter over there...is the season pretty much over?

I was out there yesterday. It was 'milky', about 30-40 viz, but still some what dive-able.

Travis

I literally learned to dive at Shark's Cove. During the 60's, every summer, our entire clan used to rent the house up next to the Sullivan estate for a long weekend (it's still there but drastically enlarged, just to the right of the Sullivan's as you look at the mountain; and the story that Elvis bought the Sullivan house is an urban legend). Those were some of the best days of my life. We virtually had the whole cove to ourselves, even over the weekend. The quantity and quality of the life in and around the cove back then was vastly different -- superior to Haunama Bay, then and now; rivalling Molokini but without the depth. The tidepools were just bursting with life; literally living aquariums and we'd lay down on the rocks with mask and snorkel and just stick our heads in the pools and be entranced for hours. I always used to think, "Cousteau, eat your heart out". Denuded as the place now is, and having to look harder (Ooooo, but there's still harlequin shrimp!) and be satisfied with less, it's still a special place to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom