general Ft Lauderdale advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoyden

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am scamming on to my partner's end of Oct business trip to Ft Lauderdale. I already have the diving part of my trip planned, but I would really appreciate some local advice on a few good moderately priced (under $40 per person) restaurants and any good snorkeling sites that don't require a boat trip (non-diving partner who likes to snorkel). What is there that you would say is "must see" for out-of-towners?

Thanks,
Jackie

Jackie, you are in for a treat if you love good food in that price range. A lot of great chefs & restaurantures from around the world have made Ft. Lauderdale their home AND they don't call this the shore-dive capital of the US for nothing.

This thread will grow FAST and LONG for sure, and everything will be worthwhile. Ask a local and they won't know where to begin. A lot depends on what you are looking for, and *everybody* has good seafood. Italian? Greek? Steaks? On the water? Music? Etc. etc. etc.

One of our favorites is the Hollywood Broadwalk. You can actually do a great shore dive right there and then have dinner at a great restaurant. Our favorite is Las Brisas on the Broadwalk, followed by excellent but very casual night life at one of a half dozen places with live music. Across on the west side of A1A there are a dozen memorable spots as well from down-home to up-scale with good reasonable-priced food and music. If you are interested in more about this combination evening, PM me or scubajenny.

If you are staying in Ft. Lauderdale and want something closer, I suggest Franko & Vinny's Restaurant on Sunrise across from the fire station, the first driveway east of the Intracoastal bridge. There is no restaurant in NYC with better Italian food - I know because I've eaten at the best. For a "local" experience dine at the bar and ask Victor to order for you...he often has items that aren't on the menu and after asking a couple of questions he'll pick something perfect. Let me know when you're going and I'll be there. Victor isn't in on Monday and/or Tuesday... I forget which.

These are the two placs we take guests, but there are others as well - too many to even begin to list.

As for shore diving, the answer is pretty much attached to where you are staying. A favorite among Conch Divers is Datura or Hibiscus, 1 or 2 blocks south of the Commercial Blvd. Pier (Angler's Pier) respectively. There are showers, parking and always divers on a good day. Marvel and I live on the beach at Hibiscus so let us know when you'll be around... better yet, post an event.

The summer has been poor for diving and we're all ready. I'm praying for good conditions when you're here because I have friends coming out the next week... not to mention I'm ready to get back into the water every day again, like last year.

Let me know if you need more intel... though I'm sure you're going to get overwhelmed with the response to your post. Have a great time!
Hoyden:
I am scamming on to my partner's end of Oct business trip to Ft Lauderdale. I already have the diving part of my trip planned, but I would really appreciate some local advice on a few good moderately priced (under $40 per person) restaurants and any good snorkeling sites that don't require a boat trip (non-diving partner who likes to snorkel). What is there that you would say is "must see" for out-of-towners?

Thanks,
Jackie

MikeJacobs:
This thread will grow FAST and LONG for sure, and everything will be worthwhile. Ask a local and they won't know where to begin. A lot depends on what you are looking for, and *everybody* has good seafood. Italian? Greek? Steaks? On the water? Music? Etc. etc. etc.

One of our favorites is the Hollywood Broadwalk. You can actually do a great shore dive right there and then have dinner at a great restaurant. Our favorite is Las Brisas on the Broadwalk, followed by excellent but very casual night life at one of a half dozen places with live music. Across on the west side of A1A there are a dozen memorable spots as well from down-home to up-scale with good reasonable-priced food and music. If you are interested in more about this combination evening, PM me or scubajenny.

If you are staying in Ft. Lauderdale and want something closer, I suggest Franko & Vinny's Restaurant on Sunrise across from the fire station, the first driveway east of the Intracoastal bridge. There is no restaurant in NYC with better Italian food - I know because I've eaten at the best. For a "local" experience dine at the bar and ask Victor to order for you...he often has items that aren't on the menu and after asking a couple of questions he'll pick something perfect. Let me know when you're going and I'll be there. Victor isn't in on Monday and/or Tuesday... I forget which.

As for shore diving, the answer is pretty much attached to where you are staying. A favorite among Conch Divers is Datura or Hibiscus, 1 or 2 blocks south of the Commercial Blvd. Pier (Angler's Pier) respectively. There are showers, parking and always divers on a good day. Marvel and I live on the beach at Hibiscus so let us know when you'll be around... better yet, post an event.

We are staying at the Hilton near the airport (not my choice, but we're not paying for it), but I will have a car and everything looks pretty close together. We'll be there Wed through Sat and I am guessing that we'll have two dinners together outside of the conference and maybe one afternoon to snorkel. I will be doing a dive class with Brownies which should take up the rest of my time. As you can tell, I am getting excited about being down where its still warm:) and there's lots of diving.

Jackie

Hoyden:
MikeJacobs:
This thread will grow FAST and LONG for sure ...SNIP
We are staying at the Hilton near the airport ...SNIP
Oops, I guess we're DIVERS not DINERS. Fortunately, the airport is VERY close to everything in this town. Here are some more specific ideas about restaurants:

Old Heidelberg is up there someplace (http://www.oldheidelbergdeli.com/); it's a VERY german restaurant, not expensive but the food is GREAT. Casual dining.

Las Olas is a great "walking street" and has "too many choices" (http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/) but we like the food just about everywhere. Mango's is terrific (note that they don't advertise on the lasolasboulevard.com site), and for a REALLY excellent meal - a bit more expensive than your budget for sure - you can try the Riverside Hotel (http://www.riversidehotel.com/) although you can choose the less expensive cafe (they have two restaurants).

River Front is just west of Las Olas and another great walking place. It(http://www.riverfrontfl.com/) has a lot of great restaurants in your range and above. We found "acceptable" Mexican food there (I'm a SoCal Mexican food snob), and Dan Marino's are our picks.

Finally for real "Fort Lauderdale" dining & night life you can drive down to the beach to "Beach Place" on A1A just north of Las Olas but south of Sunrise Blvd. We like Max's and if you're after a great appetizer order the Bento Box at the bar.

You now have too many choices, I know. Do River Front and you won't be disappointed, but if you begin early you can do them all - they're all in the same general zone. In fact, not to complicate your trip, but the Water Taxi makes stops at each place!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom