New Computer - Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos Danger

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new computer. I dive a few times a year, in warm water; just basic recreational stuff. I think I've read just about everything available on every model and configuration, talked to fellow divers, and discussed it with shops all over my area. So, you guys are probably my final outlet for further info/guidance before taking the plunge. Obviously there is no such thing as the perfect computer, and like a lot of other things, it seems this will also be somewhat of a compromise between reliability, features, cost, design, etc. I'm leaning toward the Oceanic VT Pro. Yeah - it's Pelagic, yeah - it's hoseless, blah, blah, blah, but I don't necessarily see those as negatives, all things considered. I was just wondering if anyone had any real-world experience with this product, and what your impressions are. Any other comments in this regard are welcome as well.

:06:

I now dive with this computer, and I like it. I only have a few dives (9-10) on this one but my previous PRO Plus was the same in terms of details, features (minus wireless link) and such.

The computer itself is very nice, easy to use and to read and pretty liberal compared to some others. The link works ok as well without loosing the tank pressure often (only lost it twice on mine due bad placement and interference).

Overall I am very happy with it and by now familiar with it. I like the wrist mount over the console idea and the air integrated options is also a good thing to have.

If you do a search on the VT Pro, you will find multiple posts on it some positive some negative, but as you said it, they all their quirks.

I think that's a good choice, Maredsous.

Back it up with an analog SPG and a good dive watch or perhaps a bottom timer with an analog SPG.

I have 37 dives on my Oceanic VT pro and love it. Its great to just look at the computer and get all your information. The atom 1 is now available and I would also consider this computer as well. It has all the features of the VT pro plus it will monitor up to 3 transmitters and 3 different Nitrox gases and it is not a bad looking watch to boot. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom