Short fin for older diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishie

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
My mother used to be an AI with well over two hundred dives, but she hasn't dived since she was pregnant with me (23-24 years ago). She wants to slowly get back into diving more beginning environments, but we have a slight problem.

She *hates* a lot of the modern fins. She doesn't like the extra length. In Tahoe, she tried my old Plana Avantis (which I didn't like either) and had the same problem I did-- too hard to move through the water, hard to get UNDER the water on a surface swim. My Volos were slightly better for her, but in the sense that eating liver is better than eating kidneys.

The general make of fin she likes (and used back in the late 70s) resembles those they sell at Wal-Mart. Short and simple. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on a Scuba-quality open heel fin that's along the basic lines? She isn't looking for a lot of moving power and she's not looking at going doubles or anything. She was always a very quiet diver and content to move slowly. I don't think she'd be particularly pleased with split fins either.

Thanks!
Ishie

If you can find them in the US, try Gull - they make all-rubber fins that are very nice.

www.gull-msc.co.jp

Actually from your description of what she didn't like about the Plana Avantis, split fins sound like the perfect choice.

I'd suggest the jet fins - and there are usually a couple pair available on ebay.

Sounds like I may be in the same category as your mother, i.e. I'm a senior citizen with arthritic joints, other impairments. I find split fins (Ihave Biofins) propel me well with the least fatigue. On the other hand, I tried Force Fins and could never get going with them.
By all means, Mother, keep diving !

freediver:
As far as a short fin goes, how about a Force Fin?
Love my force fins have worn them since 97 when I had a serious foot injury, I have used spit fins a lot too and they are almost as good for me too but I like the ease of the bungie heels lazy b'stard that I am

>She *hates* a lot of the modern fins. She doesn't like the extra length. <

And as a 57-year-old, I agree with her! I love nothing more than a leisurely bit of snorkelling with the all-rubber full-foot style of fins I wore in the 1960s and 1970s. Many of the manuals of that period have photographs of female scuba divers in wetsuits wearing Cressi Rondines and other relatively short-bladed full-foot fins, so don't force your mother into heelstrap fins if she's not keen! DACOR's full-foot all-rubber Corda fins are still on sale after many decades - see www.kiefer.com, and there are plenty of similar models around, some costing just $20-$30 from other swimming gear suppliers - just click on the "training equipment" button on their websites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom