? for Venture wing users (did the search) [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : ? for Venture wing users (did the search)

Sponsored Link
evad
October 12th, 2004, 12:34 PM
I've been using a Zeagle Scout bungeed-gusset wing with a SS BP which is trapping a little air. I think its actually trapping exhaled air externally in what is effecively a cowl formed by the bungeed gusset. Without the bungee it almost surrounds the tank. In any case, I'm tired of contorting myself and am looking at singles wings. At first, the square Venture wing intuitively looked "wrong'" but I'm starting to see some logic to its method; that it appears to be much narrower on the sides than the "other" brands. I can also get it for about $200.00 less than the other shell/bladder ones. So my question was/is, for people who have owned one for a while, what do you think of them now? Thanks,
Dave

The Kraken
October 12th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Is there a question here????

I assume you're asking for experiences with the Dive-Rite "Venture" wing.

I love mine !! When I started off with the back plate/wing, I used the wing from my Zeagle "Tech". Needless to say, 65# was waaaay too much lift and material for a single.

Even with the weight required to get down with my 6.5 farmer john/jacket, the Venture wing provides ample buoyancy and is very streamlined.

If you purchase one from Dive-Rite Express, you can get a shorter inflation hoses installed for no additional charge. You can also opt to have the 90 degree dump valve replaced with a solid 90 degree elbow for about $8.00.

Leisure-Pro has a great buy on them right now. About $180 if I remember correctly.

Buy one, you'll like it.

NWGratefulDiver
October 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM
IMO - one of the nicer singles wings on the market ... I wish they made one in a 40-lb version.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

evad
October 12th, 2004, 01:12 PM

I love mine !! When I started off with the back plate/wing, I used the wing from my Zeagle "Tech". Needless to say, 65# was waaaay too much lift and material for a single.

Even with the weight required to get down with my 6.5 farmer john/jacket, the Venture wing provides ample buoyancy and is very streamlined.

If you purchase one from Dive-Rite Express, you can get a shorter inflation hoses installed for no additional charge. You can also opt to have the 90 degree dump valve replaced with a solid 90 degree elbow for about $8.00.

Leisure-Pro has a great buy on them right now. About $180 if I remember correctly.

Buy one, you'll like it.

Thanks. I hadn't finished the ? before I hit some mystery-post-now-button. That's the answer I was looking for anyway. Let's see, three days not-in-bar..... that should cover it. I'm about to go get one now. Any cons?

The Kraken
October 12th, 2004, 01:23 PM
None that I've experienced. I've about 40 dives on it now.

evad
October 12th, 2004, 01:27 PM
IMO - one of the nicer singles wings on the market ... I wish they made one in a 40-lb version.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's it, ****work, I'm going over there now. Thanks Bob, I'm grateful.
Dave

The Kraken
October 12th, 2004, 01:31 PM
I did too, until I lost 10 pounds.

evad
October 12th, 2004, 01:40 PM
I don't have any buoyancy issues. Doesn't anyone not-like the venture? For ANY
reason?

ChickenBone
October 12th, 2004, 01:50 PM
add another satisfied Venture owner to the list - I'm very happy with mine.

i

scubadobadoo
October 12th, 2004, 02:15 PM
I like it too. About 20 dives on it from NY (dry suit and 18 #'s plus the ss plate) to key largo (2 mil and 2 pounds) and I love it. I was in 6+ ft. seas this past weekend and the wing floated me nicely in the water as I waited for the boat to get me. Underwater it is also very stable. Have fun!

OneBrightGator
October 12th, 2004, 03:34 PM
The only downside I've found is water can get trapped between the inner and outer bladder, but that's solved by inflating it all the way before you get out of the water.

I used mine at work all summer, logged over 100 saltwater dives on it and probably 500 hours in the sun on the boat, still looks brand new, works like it too.

Ben

scubadobadoo
October 12th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Onebrightgator is right about the water. Very minor problem.

steve2281
October 12th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Buy one, you'll like it.

What length corrugated hose do you use on your Venture wing?? 12"????

The Kraken
October 13th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Yeah, I use the 12".

I'm 5'8" / 160# and it hits my left shoulder strap right at the D-ring.
It's much easier than dumping the standard length deflator and it doesn't flop around all over the place when I'm diving. Needless to say, I have a piece of bungie cord that secures it in place when not in use.

evad
October 13th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice (and telling me what I wanted to here). I went through four of them before I finally bought the best-finished outer shell with a small puncture in the bladder for $150.00/no tax. The finish of the other three was such that I asked the guy if they were seconds. The ones I didn't buy were "crimped" by the outer shell in the upper right hand (no dump) corner. When I felt the bladder, I noticed that it was crimped or bunched up on its own but I figured I was just being a scared little girl (no offense to scared little girls) and bought it on reccomendations and reputation. Now, what is the optimal way to repair a small puncture in the (urethane?) bladder? Thanks. Oh yeah, re advice about non-drainage;
is there any reason not to put in a drain in the form of a small grommet?

The Kraken
October 13th, 2004, 02:05 PM
There are 2 drain grommets in the ventue wing, one on each side.

evad
October 13th, 2004, 02:33 PM
There are 2 drain grommets in the ventue wing, one on each side.

Mine has no grommets. Where are yours?

The Kraken
October 13th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Bottom corners on the inside (the side to the back plate).

evad
October 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Bottom corners on the inside (the side to the back plate).

Nope. No grommets. Any suggestions on best way to patch small puncture. (I know,
take it back).

The Kraken
October 13th, 2004, 02:42 PM
You got a Dive-Rite "Venture" wing, right?
On the very bottom of the nylon shell there should be 2 stainless steel grommets inserted into the cover for water drainage.
If they are not there, take it back.

evad
October 13th, 2004, 05:17 PM
You got a Dive-Rite "Venture" wing, right?
On the very bottom of the nylon shell there should be 2 stainless steel grommets inserted into the cover for water drainage.
If they are not there, take it back.

It says DiveRite VentureWing. No drain grommets. Anyone else have grommets.I don't have grommets. Where's the grommets? There ought to be grommets.

OneBrightGator
October 13th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Mine doesn't have grommets.

ChickenBone
October 13th, 2004, 06:11 PM
mine has grommets. maybe they redesigned the wing? I bought mine just over a month ago.

The Kraken
October 14th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Perhaps it would be prudent to contact Dive-Rite directly and ask.

The Kraken
October 14th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Evad,
I zipped Dive-Rite an e-mail to get their take on this situation. I'll let you know what I hear.
Any B/C-wing should have drainage holes in the outter shell somewhere !!!!

Michael Schlink
October 18th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Mine doesn't have the grommets either and the Venture does hold a lot of water. The newer ones now have the drains. Call DR. By the way the DR travel wings is the same bladder with a lighter fabric covering the bladder. I have one of each

The Kraken
October 19th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Be pretty easy to incorporate two drainage holes.
Go to the hardware store and get a grommet setting tools and some brass grommets.
Remove the bladder from the outter shell.
Take a piece of brass tubing the same diameter as the body of the grommet, get it very hot and put a hole in each side of the outter shell.
Set the grommet in the two holes . . . voila !!!!
. . . I'd put a small block of wood inside the outter shell and locate the two holes from the outside.

evad
October 19th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Be pretty easy to incorporate two drainage holes.
Go to the hardware store and get a grommet setting tools and some brass grommets.
Remove the bladder from the outter shell.
Take a piece of brass tubing the same diameter as the body of the grommet, get it very hot and put a hole in each side of the outter shell.
Set the grommet in the two holes . . . voila !!!!
. . . I'd put a small block of wood inside the outter shell and locate the two holes from the outside.

I read another thread re different DR wing where a guy was complaining that his drainage grommet had, in part, caused a grommet-sized tear. So, at least, I think I'll put the "finish side" of the grommet on the inside and, at most, consider backing up the bladder in the grommet area.

The Kraken
October 19th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Good idea, Evad. After reading that thread, I took two pieces of silver duct tape an put on the areas of my bladder where the grommets come into contact.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1