Sand Fleas vs Sea Lice? - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkelgeek

Registered
Reaction score
We are looking at traveling to Roatan in April/May. We have heard the horror stories about both these critters. We have also heard that the Sand Fleas are worse in April than May because of the winds that come up in May. But we've heard that sea lice season is in May/June. Does it really matter +/- a couple of weeks, when we go? Would it be better to go in April and try to lessen the sand flea problem? Would it make THAT much of a difference? Does anyone know really when sea lice are a problem?

It is looking like we might be staying at Lost Paradise. We have contacted them and them seem incredibly helpful. Our other option was at West Bay, but many people seem to be steering us clear of WB and we have heard sand fleas are worse in WB as well. As well, we were concerned that we might have to go into West End lots just to sample different foods, so may as well be there anyway?

Any thoughts on the sand flea/sea lice situation would be greatly appreciated.

Brenda

We arrived in Roatan in April. We're on the south coast. I haven't been anywhere on the island that doesn't have sand fleas. We always put on long pants when we go out to eat. In the daytime we use Cactus Juice and try not to stand still for long. I haven't had any sea lice yet. I'm very sensitive to them and in the Bahamas I used to take Benadryl when they were around. Now I use this stuff called Sea Safe. It's a sunblock and jellyfish block. Don't let the bugs keep you away.

Nope, we won't let the bugs keep us away, but we ARE slightly flexible in when we go, so wanted to optimize if possible. Had seen that Sea Safe stuff...does it work? As for the fleas...people recommend Cactus Juice, but I haven't seen it here, so will likely just take our own 30% DEET to deal with them. Maybe I should take some gaiters down! I'm looking forward to the snorkeling, but have this vision of us slathering all this goop on us, along with trying to time the DEET and sunscreen applications! Could get complicated!

Thanks.

Brenda

Sea Safe works for me, when I remember to put it on. We were out snorkelling yesterday and I was convinced I was in sea lice so before I showered off with fresh water I splashed vinegar all over.
It doesn't look like anybody is distributing Cactus Juice in Canada yet. You can get it in West End. I like it because it has no harmful chemicals in it. It is 20 SPF so that is one less thing you have to slather on. Bring the DEET though, what works for one person may not work for another. These bugs are pesky but they're not horror movie mosquitos like we encountered up in Canada. We had a flat tire on our motorcycle on the Dempster Hwy up to Inuvik, NWT and all the mosquitos in Canada seemed to descend on us. Still gives me the shivers.
I'll check with a friend in the dive biz in West End to see if there are any real stats on sea lice season.

snorkelgeek:
We are looking at traveling to Roatan in April/May. We have heard the horror stories about both these critters. We have also heard that the Sand Fleas are worse in April than May because of the winds that come up in May. But we've heard that sea lice season is in May/June. Does it really matter +/- a couple of weeks, when we go? Would it be better to go in April and try to lessen the sand flea problem? Would it make THAT much of a difference? Does anyone know really when sea lice are a problem?

It is looking like we might be staying at Lost Paradise. We have contacted them and them seem incredibly helpful. Our other option was at West Bay, but many people seem to be steering us clear of WB and we have heard sand fleas are worse in WB as well. As well, we were concerned that we might have to go into West End lots just to sample different foods, so may as well be there anyway?

Brenda

For what it's worth, we just got back from Fantasy Island. Sand fleas were not bad there or at WB the two days we were there. I did run into a patch of sea lice on a night dive. Only got stung on the upper lip and after an hour or so the discomfort was gone. Hope this helps

Duke

Thanks Liz and Duke. Liz, an idea of any sea lice season would be great! It's also good to know that sea lice might not be a huge problem. Was just chatting with one of my travel mates and I think we're probably going to err on the side of less sand fleas since that seems to be more of an issue than sea lice. I have had jelly fish sting before, and it wasn't a big problem. Forgot about the vinegar...might be a good thing to have in the snorkel bag. Darn, it's getting heavier all the time - DEET, gear, vest, Cactus Juice, vinegar - egad! Good to know we can look for Cactus Juice down there. Wonder what the active ingredient is, since you're not supposed to apply sunscreen and DEET at same time?

BTW - looked one day at the ingredient in Bite-b-Gone - ammonia. Now I just use a little dab of household ammonia on mossie bites and the itch is gone instantly. A lot cheaper than buying those little pens! Yes, us Canucks are use to the bugs - and take precautions even more so now with West Nile in the neighbourhood.

Looks like a definite for Lost Paradise and now looks like mid-May!

Brenda

A summer educational program I worked in the Bahamas had nasty experiences with Cactus Juice. After semi-scientific testing on dozens of our poor students, we discovered the stuff ATTRACTs mosquitoes and those no-see-ums. Between the choice of cactus juice or nothing at all, we eventually all opted for the latter route. After that we got DEET.

We've got a few dozen bottles of unopened Cactus Juice lying around on Eleuthera, if anyone wants any...

archman:
A summer educational program I worked in the Bahamas had nasty experiences with Cactus Juice. After semi-scientific testing on dozens of our poor students, we discovered the stuff ATTRACTs mosquitoes and those no-see-ums. Between the choice of cactus juice or nothing at all, we eventually all opted for the latter route. After that we got DEET.

Amen to your findings on Cactus Juice.... and I put that in the same category as Skin-So-Soft. The stuff mixes well with Rum, but that's about it. Cactus Juice does make an effective "Soothing Gel", but read my comments of sand flies and more at http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ccv/vpost?id=76

In the many hundreds of dives in the Bay Islands, I have never been hit by Sea Lice, that being said, my next dive should be a real eye opener :wink: Cover your body well, I have and maybe that's why I'm Sea Lice free, so far! (There was that annoying rash a few years back, but I don't think.....:)

DEET early and often. The South side Roatan properties are less infested by the Sand Flies (aka: Sand Fleas, No-See-Ums, etc) as there is a constant SSW breeze. The better resorts have no standing water and have eliminated the low hanging foliage. The 600' high ridge that runs along the spine of Roatan effectively blocks such breeze from the North and West resorts and properties.

Better living through chemistry. DEET.

snorkelgeek:

Brenda

Hopefully, these will prove useful:

A. The below is an edited version from my "Ask RSD" column article on the topic in "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine:

"A common form of skin disorder after diving is Sea Bather's Eruption, or SBE. Often mistakenly attributed to "sea lice," which are parasites of fish, SBE is primarily caused by the larval form of thimble jellyfish, very small creatures which float near the surface. Found in Florida, Mexico and the wider Caribbean, they are most numerous from March to August, with early April to early June being peak season.

The main feature of SBE is raised and itchy red welts/blotches which appear 4 to 24 hours after swimming or diving. The larvae tend to attach to swim wear, dive suits and hair, causing the skin under covered areas of the body and around the back of the neck to be most affected. Depending on exposure and individual sensitivity, there may be fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, generalized weakness or chills.

Prevention of stings is the best way to combat SBE. You should: (1) Ask resorts and dive shops if they are aware of heavy infestation; (2) Wear a snug fitting full body protective suit which fits tightly at the neck, wrist and ankle. Swim suits and T-shirts are not recommended; (3) Apply a thin layer of SafeSea (*see below), sun protectant, baby oil or petroleum jelly to the skin; (4) When surfacing, vigorously purge your second stage above your head just before breaking the water; (5) Perform your safety stop at 15-20' as the larvae tend to congregate above this; (6) If on a night dive, turn your light off at the safety stop and keep it off, and: (7) Remove wet garments immediately and rinse yourself in salt water, then wash yourself thoroughly in fresh. Do not rinse off with any items on.

If you do get stung: (1) Immediately apply a mixture of 1/2 isopropyl alcohol and 1/2 vinegar to affected skin areas, or whatever is on the boat for such stings. Repeat regularly for up to 60 minutes. Or, put on a thin paste of meat tenderizer and allow it to dry. Wash it off within ~20 minutes. In place of meat tenderizer, some find it more soothing to rub the area with papaya if it is readily available. (2) Bathing in or applying colloidal oatmeal, which can be purchased at the pharmacy or grocery store, may afford additional relief. Follow these actions with the topical application of hydrocortisone cream/lotion, twice a day. If you do not have or cannot use hydrocortisone, Calamine lotion with menthol can be applied; (3) Given that there are no contraindications, take an oral antihistamine (nonsedating type if you are going to continue diving) if the allergic reaction continues; and (4) Wash all garments well in warm, soapy water and let dry completely before wearing again.

Remember that if you have a severe allergic reaction, or don't get substantial resolution from self treatment, or the eruption seems to be getting worse or infected, you should seek medical attention in a timely manner."

*BTW, this article that I wrote for Undercurrent (http://www.undercurrent.org/) discusses SafeSea in some detail:

http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/Jellies200309.shtml

B. Sand fleas, aka no see ums:

Here's an updated edited version of my "Ask RSD" article on the topic in "Rodale's Scuba Diving."

"Sand fleas & mosquitoes can be a real bother, not to mention that they are sources of some serious tropical diseases.

The danger & bother of insects can be substantially reduced by these precautions: (1) Wear long sleeves and pants, avoiding dark or bright colors, especially at dawn and dusk. Protective clothing such as the "Buzz Off" brand can be useful. As an extra precaution, you may treat clothing with permethrin (As in the easy to use Sawyer Products http://www.permethrin-repellent.com ); (2) Try to stay indoors at dawn and dusk when many flying insects are most active, and avoid sandy areas as much as possible at any time of day, especially when there is no breeze. When making reservations, make sure the resort has screened windows; (3) Wear insect repellent. The best protection against these and other insects is full strength DEET. Some divers like things such as Avon's Skin-So-Soft & Cactus Juice, less toxic products than DEET, by the science is solidly behind DEET for lasting effectiveness. Most DEET containing repellents are the 15-30% range of concentration. The testing of various strengths of DEET has shown that after about 30% little additional effectiveness is to be had by upping the strength, and even less after about 50%. As such, there is simply no point in exposing oneself to more potent brews. UltraThon at 32% http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/ultrathon appears to be a good product. Used as directed over relatively brief periods of time, say a week, DEET has been shown to pose no significant risk when applied to exposed skin. If you wear lightweight, loose fitting clothes, it generally is safe to use DEET underneath. Doing so with heavy, snug fitting clothes can result in dermatological problems & worse. Be aware that DEET can dissolve synthetics like plastics, rayon & nylon, so it's best to wear natural fibers & keep it off of your gear; (4) Avoid scented toiletries and perfumes; (5) Upon arrival, treat your room with a bug bomb such as Shelltox or Fish (stay outside while this is being done). Touch up with spray after that as needed.

Precautions such as these can go a long way toward insuring your comfort, although they of course don't guarantee that you will not get bitten. It is therefore wise to take along whatever medications you have found helpful in treating bites, such as Calamine lotion/cream, hydrocortisone lotion/cream and nonsedating oral antihistamines. A number of outdoorspeople swear by AfterBite (http://www.tendercorp.com/afterbite.html) applied as soon as possible."

Remember that if you have a severe allergic reaction, don't get substantial resolution from self treatment, or the eruption seems to be getting worse or infected, you should seek medical attention in a timely manner."

Go and have fun.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Wow, thanks to both Docs for all the info. Will take all into account and appreciate the help. You scuba people are great!

Could be interesting, since we are snorkelers, to observe the "remove wet clothing upon surfacing" suggestion! :sgrin: If you are in the area next May and hear screams, that would be from the other people watching us come out!!

Also a good idea to leave stuff/supplies behind. I usually do that with some toiletries, but never thought to leave behind repellents etc. Will do so on this trip.

Brenda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom