Little hope for Florida reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loganmackay

Registered
Reaction score
The Hurricanes may have done their worst but thier condition is not helped by idiots like these. In this case hunting for lobster.

My first dive in south florida at pompano beach on Sunday 10th October, the location was impressive, but the standard of the diving was terrible.

Did you bring up to them or the dive master that these people were literally killing the reef by using this method of diving? It sorta looks like they spent a lot of money on certifications and gear but have really done nothing for skill.

Nice...

Fortunately we all don't dive like this. We can only hope that these divers have been made aware of their poor diving habits...

Its just so sad the mentality of these people that will do these things for a lobster! (and finally after getting the thing it's short or an egg bearing female...) Geesh! YOu can go to the local grocery store and buy them, its not like they have golden chambers or something!

loganmackay:
The Hurricanes may have done their worst but thier condition is not helped by idiots like these. In this case hunting for lobster.

My first dive in south florida at pompano beach on Sunday 10th October, the location was impressive, but the standard of the diving was terrible.

My family and I were there in late August and witnessed about the same thing except the Dumb***es in question were actually laying on a nice barrel sponge and each had one hand on the coral. DM Mike from Rampage Dive Charters was our guide (he was more than a little PO'd at the site); he went over to them, grabbed them by their tank valves and lifted them off of the now broken sponge and gave them a stern look. For his efforts he got a finger from them, but endeared himself to all who saw it. Did I mention they were on a dive boat with no hull ID numbers, were not flying a dive flag, jumped in right on top of our divers flags and it was not an area permitted for lobstering.

Some people just suck and always will; classless jerks.

Off my soapbox,
Mike

If you could just make them eat what they kill.

MY01SHADOW:
My family and I were there in late August and witnessed about the same thing except the Dumb***es in question were actually laying on a nice barrel sponge and each had one hand on the coral. DM Mike from Rampage Dive Charters was our guide (he was more than a little PO'd at the site); he went over to them, grabbed them by their tank valves and lifted them off of the now broken sponge and gave them a stern look. For his efforts he got a finger from them, but endeared himself to all who saw it. Did I mention they were on a dive boat with no hull ID numbers, were not flying a dive flag, jumped in right on top of our divers flags and it was not an area permitted for lobstering.

Some people just suck and always will; classless jerks.

Off my soapbox,
Mike

As can be attested by others on this board, they may not have made it out of the area under their own power had I been there. A boat with no number, the USCG and Marine Patrol would have loved. Lobstering in a sanctuary, FWC would have shown up to. Damaging the environment while doing it, DEP. Depnending on my mood, they may have been handed their anchorline or drainhole plug or propellor minus cotter pin. :)

What can I say, they just fell off!!! Right Colin????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom