Any FL divers been out to Southern Cal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've only dove in fairly warm waters (e.g., Florida ocean and springs) but will be out in San Diego in another couple of weeks and was thinking about doing a dive out there in the kelp forests. I'm eager for new dive experiences, but that water seems awfully cold - I think I saw on some web site something in the 50's. 7 mil (or drysuits) are the norm. I would be using the 7 mil since that is what they rent. Still, I am wondering if I should forego the diving on this trip and do it a couple of years from now instead (its a returning conference) when I am a more experienced diver (I have other fun dive trips planned for the interim). I'm sure nothing terrible would happen, but it's a lot of money to extend my stay by 2 or 3 days for a couple of dives during which I might be uncomfortable due either to cold or 7 mil wetsuit induced immobility. Anyhow, just wondering what other east coast warm water divers have thought about their first ventures to colder climes.

Thanks
Dave

Not a Florida resident but definetly a WWW. Yes the water is cold, I used a 7 mil jumpsuit over a 2 mil hooded vest with a beanie and was just bearly comfortable doing 3-4 dives a day.
However the diving is worth it and totally different from east coast or Florida diving. The bottom is mostly rock based and covered with something, be it kelp or starfish and the starfish there are bright colors but the fish aren't. I've even seen spots that looked like grass but turned out to be millions of Brittlestars with nudi's walking over them.
If your there you got to try it!

I went about two months ago to SoCal, it was a little warmer then, the beach diving water temp was in the mid-60's, i would bet low 60's now - not sure how much that changes up the coast as PNW seems to be in the high 40's to 50. I would guess aim at 50's. I wore a 5mm with 3mm hood and 2mm gloves, i was ok until i hit 56F on a deeper dive out on the Channel Islands - that was a shock :wink:

Just cos you are a WWW, doesnt mean you cant dive in colder water, but play it as safe as you can. See if you can hook up with any NorCal divers over there to show you the ropes. The kelp beds are beautiful and i would go back again when time and money permit! I have just had to turn down a trip over thanksgiving due to lack of cash for it, otherwise i would have jumped at the chance. My ex-GF is going over for a training conference and my roommate is visiting family back there for that weekend and are going to get in a dive or two on the coast - how i will envy them in my high 70's-80F water here :wink: I would take your gear, but pack only what you need - BC, regs, fins, safety stuff, mask and booties, rent the wetsuit, tanks and weights - you would be surprised what you can fit in a carry on bag!

dlwalke:
SNIP... I am wondering if I should forego the diving on this trip and do it a couple of years from now instead (its a returning conference) when I am a more experienced diver ...SNIP
Dave, if the conditions are good you should go. The San Diego boats go waaay out so it's an all-day thing, so you might not have time. The boats are bigger than we use here in SE Florida, so they're more stable and they easily manage the number of divers.

The trip plan usually went something like this: get on board early in the morning, and be one of the first to find a quiet bunk. Take your dramamine and go to sleep. The driver cutting the engines should wake you up, but if not they'll make noise. Tell the DM what you want and ask for a suggested route - there are many options on each site. It's almost always camera-weather down there, so bring one!

Once below, look carefully at the rocks for rock scallop. We used to open them and pop 'em right there, raw... tasty. Can't bring them up, though. And don't pull abalone off the rocks because you can kill them easily.

Don't worry about getting tangled in the kelp - just don't surface in it and make sure you move slowly. It's very peaceful and if you pay attention you'll be fine. You almost have to work to get caught. Bring a knife though.

In between dives, if you're at one of the islands, snorkel the shallows - lots of life there, and more fun than the boat.

Yes, it's cold and you should go with the rental suit. Don't worry, though, because you won't feel much shock with that big suit.

On the way back enjoy the company and especially the sunset over the ocean - something we don't get here in SE Florida and I miss it.

You'll have a blast. Just listen to the DM and maybe read up a little first. If you have the time, go!

I dived it last year. Temp was 51°F, but I loved it! Great diving, you shouldn't miss it. I was sorry we only had time for 2 dives.

Walter:
I dived it last year. Temp was 51°F, but I loved it! Great diving, you shouldn't miss it. I was sorry we only had time for 2 dives.
How'd the trip go? I haven't been in a while and was wondering about how they do things now. do divers carry flags on dives? It used to be you had to rely on your navigation skills to find your way back. there was never a pick up unless somebody got into trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom