Where's Darwin???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's an excerpt from a guy's online dive log I found...

Dive 4. Little River Springs, Florida.

Buddy - none, my first solo dive, and first cave dive.
Max depth 62'
Water temp 72F, air temp ~90F.
Weather good.
Access, just drive up.
Costs none.
Visibility very good. So. I returned on my own and investigated some of
the cave.
I don't own a diver's torch so I took an ordinary one and filled it with oil
so as to equalise pressures. Worked OK to 62'.
Didn't have enough weights so used a car-jack!
Used a reel [i.e. a ball purchased at Wal-Mart] of 720lb nylon line
for safety line.
ERROR - got tangled in it (it came undone from the rock I had it tied to).

Dives: Solo | With buddy
================================
open water 0 2
cave/cavern 1 1
Surprisingly enough he has made it as far as dive 104, in which he describes his homemade rebreather test dive (!)

;-0
Thats so crazy it is almost funny, ALMOST.
Surely that has got to be really old, I would like the url also. That is too good to miss out on.

With dives like that he /she is one lucky SOB to make it to 104 dives.

If this log entry is true and isn't some kind of joke, I suspect that in the near future Murphy's Law will apply itself to this guy. We'll be reading about some dude diving solo in a cave who ran out of air after getting lost because his saftey line came loose. :tree: Bob

:tribute:

A current diver I think...

If anyone thinks that posting this URL might get Scubaboard into trouble, let me know and I'll pull it.

Here's a few more choice quotes:

My curiosity is aroused. I had been looking forward to doing something Naughty by going into a cave when only open-water certified. Especially as that wonderful Christian brother (and slightly over-zealous guardian of public morals) Bill Freeman warned one "if you go into a cave, PREPARE TO DIE!!".

ERROR - to make myself less buoyant, I did not wear my wetsuit. After 1/2 hour in 72 degree water this is COLD - I was shivering. NOT to be repeated. Buy the weights!

Brilliant idea to use the extra weight. Anchored me nicely to the bottom.

No penetration into the cave, I only went into the cavern because the cave gets a bad press in Underwater Florida. After Telford spring I am beginning to disbelieve bad reports in U.F. and will begin to disregard them.

I especially liked the home-made rebreather, the DDR-1 (stands for Darwin Defying Rebreather, so at least he's aware of the possibilities!). Log goes up to September 2001 (did Darwin catch him?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom