hawaii water temp in december

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey gang!

the wife and i want to plan a trip to hawaii in december......we're thinking about a few days in kona and then dive a few days in maui.

is the water temp very cold at that time?? would skins be enough??

thanks a bunch!

ps> anyone recommend any MUST-DO sites in maui and kona?!??!?

aloha!!!

-dan

Aloha Dan!

What you wear all depends on you. I have been wearing my full 3mm suit for the past couple of winters (all year round actually), but I think this year I'm gonna switch to a 5mm because I've gotten used to the temps.

Alcina was here in Feb or March, she dove with a 3mm shorty and the poor skinny :)D) thing was all covered in goose bumps.

I know of another guy who dives all year round just in his trunks.

My question would be what are you used to? If your used to cold water, this will be like taking a bath and a skin might be enough. The water temps will be somewhere in the mid to lower 70's in December.

Hope this give you an idea and check out the insider information thread for some interesting dive sites.

Aloha,
Lisa

deputydan1:
hey gang!

the wife and i want to plan a trip to hawaii in december......we're thinking about a few days in kona and then dive a few days in maui.

thanks a bunch!

aloha!!!

-dan

My guess is the water temp this Dec will likely be around 75 to 76 degrees. It is still 79 to 80 and it is Oct. 13.
Like Lisa said it depends on the person. I wear a full 3mm, even in 80 degree water as I have acclimated to the temps here. In Jan and Feb when the water dips to 75 or below I wear a shorty 3mm over my full 3mm. Visitors from colder climates are usually only in shorty 3mm's. I doubt skins would do it for most people.

thank you so much, lisa!
you've always been so kind and helpful! Bless you!
yes, the wife and i do mixed diving, cold/warm.....we definately prefer the WARM!
went diving recently at catalina isl here in CA.....temp hit around 60....little chilly....we LOVED bora bora....82 temp!

i just hate having to wear thick suits and heavy weights! arrgh!

thanks again!

-dan

ps> lisa, are you a dive operator???

Aloha Dan,

I agree with the others...water temp will be in mid 70's in December. I would think a skin would be inadequate, especially if you're making multiple dives in the same day. 3mm or even 5 mm would work very nicely. Full suits always get my vote to protect you against coral and lava rock scrapes.

Do you night dive? I know of a couple of "must do" night dives on Maui that are really a kick. Please PM me if you want more info.

Good luck and enjoy your trip here!

I was seeing 81 degrees when I left for vacation on the 6th. We usually cool off as the winter swells com in starting november/december. I suspect it'll be in the 78-79 range in december unless we see a lot of weather between now and then. We usually get down to the 75/76 range in late january/early february.[

The typical male usually dow fine in a 3 mil fullo, possibly a shorty if tolerant to cooler water. Women usually do fin in a 3 mil full, or a 4/5 or so if really prone to gettin cold.

later,

Steve
QUOTE=deputydan1]he

thanks a bunch!

aloha!!!

-dan[/QUOTE]

thank you so much, everyone!

you guys are all great! your information of priceless...

i hope to be there soon!! i need a vacation!!!

ps> how's the viz?? is it comparable to tahiti? cozumel??

pss> does everyone agree that maui is a more fun place??

thanks!

aloha!

-dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom