Boat Dive Outfits on The Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi or rather Aloha! :) My wife and I are going to be on The Big Island in February and We are looking for a top knotch Boat Dive Company. I actually got certified in The Big Island years ago. Anyway, we are staying up at The Mauna Kea so we want to do a couple dives up that way and a couple dives around Kona and of course the Manta night dive. Who should we book with?

Thanks so much!
-Chris

CALI68:
Hi or rather Aloha! :) My wife and I are going to be on The Big Island in February and We are looking for a top knotch Boat Dive Company. I actually got certified in The Big Island years ago. Anyway, we are staying up at The Mauna Kea so we want to do a couple dives up that way and a couple dives around Kona and of course the Manta night dive. Who should we book with?

Thanks so much!
-Chris

Jack's Diving Locker is the only one I went out with. I did several day and night dives with them and had a blast. Nice boat (up to 15 folks I think, but it was never full when I was there). Shade on the boat. Really friendly and enthusiastic dive guides who know the area/critters/locations well. They always seem super stoked to be diving and they don't rush you or anything. Laid back, good folks.

One thing I *really* liked about them was their noharm/no kill attitude. They don't grap octopi or poke puffers or anything. I really appreciated that attitude.

Not affiliated with them or anything blah blah. Just a satisfied customer.

Gregg

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Jack's Diving Locker is the only one I went out with. I did several day and night dives with them and had a blast. Nice boat (up to 15 folks I think, but it was never full when I was there). Shade on the boat. Really friendly and enthusiastic dive guides who know the area/critters/locations well. They always seem super stoked to be diving and they don't rush you or anything. Laid back, good folks.

One thing I *really* liked about them was their noharm/no kill attitude. They don't grap octopi or poke puffers or anything. I really appreciated that attitude.

Not affiliated with them or anything blah blah. Just a satisfied customer.

Gregg

Cool! I'll look into them. Thanks!

As far as I know, Kohala Divers up at Kawaihae Harbor is the only operation running the upper Kohala coast. I used them a lot before and last visited them in March (just to say hello) and they seemed the same as I remember them from when Turner Lett was the active owner (he still "checks-in" from Florida occasionally). You can't miss 'em; just hang a left out of Mauna Kea Beach onto the main drag, take a left at the "T" intersection (turn right to go to Kamuela/Waimea), and drive about a half-mile or so until you see a smallish 2-story commercial building at a fork in the road, within sight of the harbor. They're on the lower level of shops at the far corner closest to the harbor.

In Kailua-Kona town itself, there're any number of outfits to choose from and I haven't heard of any real stinkers. Your experience really depends on the individual staff present at the moment. I'd suggest checking the local yellow pages and visiting the shops to get a feel for the op. Jack's is one of the bigger ops. I've used Kona Coast Divers a lot; they've relocated to Honokahau Harbor, outside of town. As far as specialties, there's DiveTek who apparently caters to tech-divers but they're new to me. BlueWater Hunters has a shop in the industrial area; they provide for freedivers (check them out anyway because freediver gear is different, I like their Kevlar-soled booties). Everybody I've mentioned have websites.

You may also consider shore diving. Kona's the perfect spot for it. Undoubtedly, the most popular is at Honaunau (Place/City of Refuge), about 30-40min south of Kailua-Kona (depending on traffic). Boat traffic there can get heavy so stay to the right side after entry. Dick Dresie ("Dick the Diver") has an interesting website that you should visit (I've seen his "Holey-Moley" long-nose butterfly numerous times. Some of them were in the black/dark-brown color. The "hole" appears to be a congenital defect; definitely not an injury despite first impressions.) Another poster on this board, Friscuba, may have more info.

...correction... Mauna Kea Divers and Red Sail Sports also appear to run operations out of Kawaihae; I've no experience with them. Diving the Kohala coast can be moody because of it's exposure to the winter surf and wind conditions; operations can't go too far offshore and can't get too much inshore; when it's happened to me, it's usually dives in the 40'-70' range with surge in the shallower depths (viz remains good 'cuz there's usually more coral than sand/sediment)-- plan your weights accordingly.

Big Island Divers has a large store just outside of Kailua-Kona town, at the very top of the steep old airport road, just before hitting the main Kailua-Kona town intersection (assuming you're driving down from up north).

we dived with kona coast divers, located directly on the marina. if you'd like to read about our experience (the good and the bad) and see pictures, you can check it out at:

http://www.sjusa.net

click on the "pictures" link on the top menu bar

Aloha!

This question gets asked lots, you might want to just look back through the posts or do a search.

Bob.

P.S. I like Kona Honu Divers. But I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

CALI68:

Thanks so much!
-Chris

I would echo the comments on Jack's Diving Locker in Kona. They were an outstanding operation -- very safety conscous, knowledgeable staff, outstanding boat complete with shade and the crew actually washes your gear and wetsuits for you on the way back to the dock!!!

Don't miss the Manta Ray night dives!

Without a doubt, Kona Diving Adventures is one dive operator I would whole heartedly recommend without any reservation! Keith, Chuck, Colin, and the rest are top notch. If you go with them you won't regret it.

Went out with them last May/June and will be doing it again next year.

We dove with them last week while we were in Kona.
Great operation and they treated us well.
If you want to be on a small boat, request the Dolphin. It's their 6-pack, and we were lucky enough to be on it. We didn't know that they had different boats.

Everyone, on the boat, in the office, and the maintenance crew where great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom