Better fins: Twin Jet or X-Pert (Both splits)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CharleyT

Reaction score
We did Advanced this weekend, and I was able to dive with both of these fins. I normally have calf cramps, and did not until I went back to my regular fins. It looks like I may need to spend the cash and get some splits. My question is, which one is the better buy? I must admit, the Tusa's are less expensive, and I like that. But not afraid to spend a few extra if I should.

Charley

Tusa X-pert, recommend by someone and never looked back, get the stiff black ones.

spidershim123:
Tusa X-pert, recommend by someone and never looked back, get the stiff black ones.
Would the stiffness of the black ones counteract what I'm trying to do (avoid calf cramps)? The ones I used were the blue ones, and they really seemed to swim well underwater.

Charley

***I've heard from people who use the Twin Jets, that they are great fins, so it all comes down to how you feel.***

P.S....Unreafind.com has a special for Tusa Xperts at $89 and Twin Jets are $119.
I sent money order and 3 days later fins were at my door. They also e-mail and call you, trustworthy.

spidershim123:
No, my calfs are fine and I have weak feet, altough I run. The blue ones are good but not as good in currents as the Black ones. I was gonna pick the blue but Stiffness is more important.
I already have some Dacor hinged bladed fins if I'm going to be doing anything with currents. I do mostly lake and quarry dives, and think even the color ones should work on a Cozumel drift dive (but I've not done one yet). I don't run (do 30 mins on a treadmill though), but I pay dearly every weekend we dive. For 2-3 days I can barely walk. Plus, the red ones look cool. :)

Charley

I Have Not Tried The Tusa X-pert Fins, I'm Sure They A Good. I Use A Set Of Twin Jets. The Rest Of My Family Liked Their Regular Fins Until They Tried My Twin Jets. Now The Whole Family Owns Twin Jets. We Opted For The Blue, Yellow And Silver Fins That Float. What An Advantage, To Be Able To Take Off Your Fins And Not Worry About Them Sinking Out Of Sight. One Less Thing To Worry About.

CharleyT:
I already have some Dacor hinged bladed fins if I'm going to be doing anything with currents. I do mostly lake and quarry dives, and think even the color ones should work on a Cozumel drift dive (but I've not done one yet). I don't run (do 30 mins on a treadmill though), but I pay dearly every weekend we dive. For 2-3 days I can barely walk. Plus, the red ones look cool. :)

Charley

Yea, black ones are plane, I wanted to get the red ones at first, they look so TIGHT

I have a pair of the Tusa X-Pert fins and a pair of black Twin Jets. Both are excellent split fins and it seems like I'm hardly working at all when wearing either pair. The first pair of Twin Jets that I purchased was the cobalt blue that float. I found out that the blue and the yellow Twin Jets are slightly more flexible than the black one that some dive shops market as the more stiffer "professional" fin. When I switched to the black Twin Jets I did find that they provided more thrust than the blue ones. I was fortunate enough to win the pair of X-Pert Zooms in a treasure hunt and found that they perform almost identically to the Twin Jets. If I'm diving someplace where there is very little or no current I prefer the split fins. However, if I'm diving in current, especially if I'm pulling a dive flag or float ball, I find that my Mares Quattros work the best and provide the most thrust in that situation. I can definitely feel the difference in the work level between the splits and the traditional paddle style fins. My advice - try each of the fins if possible for a few dives and see what feels best for you and the type of diving you plan to do. Also, keep in mind that with split fins, you get better performance with a swimmer's style flutter kick rather than the wide kicks that some divers seem to use with the paddle fins.

I too have the Tusa's and never wear them if there is the slightest current.. Mostly i wear my Avantis. They can handle a hard current.

If these are to be your only pair of fins.....go non split.
rich

Thanks for the input gang.

Today, I own and dive Dacor Tiger Fins. These are bladed, hinged fins. Quite often, after 3-4 dives on the day, I am in pain. So I'm looking for a second pair of fins.

I tried both splits I mentioned earlier (Twin Jet and Blue X-Pert), and liked them both.

I already have hinged blades, so this would be my lake/quarry fins.

I'm thinking of getting the Red X-Perfs, as I don't know that the extra stiffness of the blacks would be much better than just using my Tigers, but I could be wrong. I'm just trying to find something that kicks easier, until I can build up the calf muscle.

Here's yet another question... If I get the red X-Perts, would they work OK in Cozumel on a drift dive? I don't think I'll be trying to swim against the current, but I have never been down there.

Thanks again!

Charley

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom