UK Diver in Hawaii - New Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neilstewart

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, this thread starts out like most, requesting information. We are flying to Waikiki on 29th Dec. We have the opportunity to dive 2 days on the 31st and 1st Jan (I know its new years eve - Should we be going diving these days or is there other things going on during the day that we should not miss?). We fly over to the big island staying at Waikoloa Beach Marriott (we will have a car) on 2nd Jan and want to see the volcanoes and stars so will spend the first couple of days doing that because of the altitude issue after diving. We will dive on the Big Island 5th and 6th Jan.

Because it takes 20 hours to get to Hawaii its likely we will not be there again for some time and want to make the most of the diving.

Would some kind soul consider that if they were diving for 4 days at these two places which would be the sites they must go to and give us the names so I can research them. We would also like information on a dive operator who is likely to be able to take us there so we can ask in advance if it is possible. It would be awful to here about wonderful dive sites only to be grouped in a boat with a lot of DSD's on a shallow training type dive.

For us the best sites are going to be about something a little different to reef diving, we have just come back from a week diving the best of the Egyptian Red Sea. What we are looking for is maybe something that is "unque to Hawaii" lava diving? I do remember reading somewhere that there is a manta night dive outside of some hotel? I have read the other threads and I've always wanted to see a Dragon Moray so may be corsair is a good option for us?

Perhaps you will assist me.

Any other information to help me plan this trip would also be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Neil

neilstewart:
For us the best sites are going to be about something a little different to reef diving, we have just come back from a week diving the best of the Egyptian Red Sea. What we are looking for is maybe something that is "unque to Hawaii" lava diving? I do remember reading somewhere that there is a manta night dive outside of some hotel? I have read the other threads and I've always wanted to see a Dragon Moray so may be corsair is a good option for us?

Neil - not sure what you mean by lava diving - do you mean diving at a site with lava tube formations, or that extreme type diving with the lava entering the water? As to the latter, you won't find any operator doing those. :wink: If you mean diving at a site with some lava tube formations, one of the more popular sites on Oahu is Makaha Caverns. It is usually done as the shallower dive on a 2 tank trip - the first being the Mahi wreck. The Mahi sits in about 80 feet - it's a nice dive. Makaha Caverns averages between 35-45 feet. Ocean Concepts is a dive operator that regularly dives those sites several times a week (they have a website that you can view their schedule at) - and they offer shuttle service from Waikiki.

The Corsair is a good dive - about 110 feet down. I've never seen a Dragon Moray yet - anywhere. However, the Corsair does have a field of garden eels - those are pretty interesting. The second dive after the Corsair will probably be a shallow reef dive. Ocean Concepts doesn't dive the Corsair, but Island Divers does. They have a website as well, and offer shuttle service from Waikiki.

If you wanted to avoid shallow reef dives completely, sometimes Island Divers will do two wreck dives - usually the YO 257/San Pedro and the Sea Tiger.

The sites I've mentioned are some of the most popular sites on Oahu - but there are others. Let me know if these are heading in the right direction or if you're thinking of something else entirely.

I'm sure someone will chime in soon about the Kona dives.

You might want to check with your local BSAC (British SubAqua Club). Someone there may be able to find references. They used to operate a small shop just outside of Waikiki. It shuttered not very long ago; within the past two years certainly.

Yeah, pretty much what Chepar says.
Having been to the Red Sea myself I know that what you will see here, as far as the UW landscape goes, is going to be 100% different from what you are used to.
All of our wrecks here on Oahu are must dives. You can take a look in a couple of local Divers Galleries to get an idea of what you will be seeing :

Justleesa (Oahu)
Gilligan (Maui)
Turtleguy (Oahu)
Shaka~Doug (Maui)

Just to name a few....:D

There are also many dive shops for you to chose from.

aloha,
Lisa

Hi, thanks for the input, this is heading in exactly the direction I'm looking for. I did not know that there was active lava diving at all. It would be interesting to say the least but I was thinking along the lines of Lava formations. I am considering avoiding shallow reefs specifically because, and please Lisa correct me if I am totally wrong, I think they will not match up to Red Sea diving for corals or fish life? So I would like to dive sites with a wow factor that is maybe specific to volcanic islands.

So whats looking good so far is a day on the Mahi Wreck/Makaha Caverns plus a day on either the corsair (that would be interesting - never dived a plane before) plus another or the double wreck dive. I shall contact both the suggested operators and see what they can tell me.

you are all took kind and I am so looking forward to this trip.

Neil

Aloha Neil --

Please forgive the long delay in replying, but I've been on the road a bit -- DEMA in
Houston, the Bay Area, and now San Diego for a couple of days before heading
back to Hawaii.

The Big Island has lots to offer both above and below water. I'll add my standard
plug for Wizard Publications guidebooks - they're excellent.

Given what I think you're looking for, on the Big Island your best bet would be a
"long range" / "advanced" charter to some of the sites along the southern Kona
coast - e.g., Au Au Canyon, Paradise Pinnacles, The Hive and Ule Pinnacle
(my favorite).

You'll need to book one of these charters in advance, since it's a long boat ride
and most operators need several divers of similar skills to make it viable.

I dive regularly with two operators who will go that far south:

DiveTEK Adventures
Jack's Diving Locker

Other operators (there are lots) may also go, but I don't have any first-hand
experience with them.

PM me before you get here and I'll be glad to tag along, if you'd like.

Re: the mantas - the most popular spot for the infamous "Manta Ray Night Dive"
is at Garden Eels Cove, by the Kona airport just north of Keahole Pt. This
is not a deep dive, and it is oftentimes crowded underwater (I've seen up
to 7 boats & 70 divers in the water there sometimes). That said, if the mantas
are in attendance, it's a very cool dive. In the interests of full disclosure
my wife is a director of Manta Pacific Research Foundation, a local non-profit
with manta ray conservation as it's central goal.

Re: dragon morays -- I see them from time to time just north of the big arch
at Lone Tree Arch; they are shy critters and tough to find. I've also seen
them at Eel Cove (not to be confused with Garden Eels Cove). Given your
time constraints and what I think that your goals are for diving on the Big Island
I'd have to recommend skipping these sites this time ...

Hey thanks gkn

I think you have me spot on. I shall check out those operators for the big Island, see what they say about diving south and would be glad to have you "tag along" if we can arrange it.

regards

Neil

I would suggest diving with Jack's Diving Locker while on the Big Island of Hawaii.
Request the Dolphin (small 6-pack boat).
They treated us very well last week.

Jack locker has come back to me with what looks like a very nice two day package doing advanced trips down south to the previously mentioned sites and we will go with this. the two days diving is going to cost us $600 each, one 3 tank advanced trip, one 2 tank advanced trip followed by the manta night trip all on Nitrox with BC's and Regs. Is this the most expensive day diving in the world? I am used to Egypt prices where we could dive the day boats for a whole week for less than half that money.

Still, its got to be done.

Neil

neilstewart:
the two days diving is going to cost us $600 each, one 3 tank advanced trip, one 2 tank advanced trip followed by the manta night trip all on Nitrox with BC's and Regs. Is this the most expensive day diving in the world? I am used to Egypt prices where we could dive the day boats for a whole week for less than half that money.

While I haven't done any dives with Jack's, let me try to break this down based on what the typical dive operator charges on Oahu.

The average charge for a 2 tank trip to a regularly visited site is around $100 (including tanks). Add rental gear for another $20-$25. Nitrox I'm not sure - say an additional $10 per tank?

I'm sure if you requested specific advanced sites and are not going to the same sites that all operators regularly visit every day - that added to the cost, whether it's for added gas or because now it's a "private" charter.

Expensive - yes - but it sounds like a great couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom