Puerto Galera Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, after doing some more research, I'm starting to think that instead of doing Anilao I'd try Puerto Galera. How would you compare the two? Any recommendations in Puerto Galera?

I was at Atlantis in June - did 16 recreational dives (air and nitrox) around Puerto Galera and Verde Island. Had a great time, Atlantis Resort is excellent. Atlantis also has a reputation as one of THE place to get technical dive training.

http://www.dive-technical.com/puertogalera.htm

you definitely won't be disappointed in Puerto Galera's diving! there are over 30 dive sites within a 10 min. speedboat ride... and that's long! there are 3 wrecks in Sabang Bay, another 2 wrecks (incl. the Alma Jane in 30m) in LaLaguna, sloping reefs, walls (also on beautiful Verde Island).

I did everything from OW to DM in Puerto Galera, and after over 100 dives there, it's still exciting!

I also did all my courses and dives with Atlantis in PG. They're wonderful, super-friendly, and definitely have the best facilities there (trust me, i lived there for 6 months!). Like Vie, I also suggest you give Atlantis a shot!

I just came back from Puerto Galera last week and can highly recommend it. We dived with Asia Divers and stayed at the El Galleon resort, which is partnered with Asia divers and right next to the dive shop. (http://www.asiadivers.com/)

Besides the great diving the Asia Divers instructors are top class and they'll take you to all the interesting sites, of which there are many. Definitely visit Verdi Island and Canyons but have a reef hook handy at the latter so you can enjoy the view of all the fish there. Water temperatures were about 28C.

They also have some nice extra touches such as hot face towels in the boat for right after the dive and a hot shower and dry towels at the dive area when you get back. The face towels may not sound much but wait 'til you get one right after a dive, just bliss :)

And after a long days diving you can go to the Point bar, which is over the dive shop and while the hours away before walking back the 15-20 metres or so to you accomodation.

Puerto Galera is a wonderful place to go diving. Canyons is worth several trips and if you have the time Verde Island is worth the extra effort, but when the visibility is good any site around should please. I spent time with the crew at Atlantis and would recommend them. Atlantis is located on Sabang Beach, a short ride from the town of Puerto Galera.

I have stayed/dove with both Atlantis and Asia Divers/El Galleon. They are definitely the top two on the ladder for me in PG. There is not much between them though, Atlantis has the better rooms and El Galleon the better location. Service with both is outstanding and both have very freindly staff and management.

whitehead:
I have stayed/dove with both Atlantis and Asia Divers/El Galleon. They are definitely the top two on the ladder for me in PG. There is not much between them though, Atlantis has the better rooms and El Galleon the better location. Service with both is outstanding and both have very freindly staff and management.

I'm interested in diving in the Philippines, but can only get the time off in the summer.

Is the diving during their rainy season poor or significantly worse than other times of the year.

Any input in the the diving and land conditions during the June - Aug will be appreciated.

Thanks!

hi! we can dive in the philippines practically year round. you just need to find the right place to dive in, and there are plenty of options! in general the visayas don't get hit as much rain as the northern parts of the country. there should be no problems getting around as we locals dive all the time. i suggest narrowing down to specific places you want to dive, then contact local dive operators and see what the options are :) let me know, i'd be glad to help.
lara

EricJ:
I'm interested in diving in the Philippines, but can only get the time off in the summer.

Is the diving during their rainy season poor or significantly worse than other times of the year.

Any input in the the diving and land conditions during the June - Aug will be appreciated.

Thanks!

lara1018:
hi! we can dive in the philippines practically year round. you just need to find the right place to dive in...

Thanks for offering some advice.

We're thinking about going to the Philippines for approx. 11 - 14 nights this summer (June - Aug.). We met a couple who loved Atlantis in Puerto Galera. I was considering doing Atlantis resorts in both Galera and Dumaguete. I love the fact that you can get multiple dives in each day.

Any tips would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom