Underwater camcorder's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JUMP IN

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone use's a hand held camcorder's
instead of a camera, for underwater use?

Which camcorder's are scuba diver's using, having good
luck with, and would recommend?

Also, how do you keep them waterproof?

You'll need to do some research for your model of camcorder.

I use both sony and canon cameras in amphibico housings. Gates, Sony, OceanImages, Ikelite, Light & Motion and others all make housings for various cameras. There are so many choices out there you will find, with some research, the one that suits you the best...

Good luck - it's great fun!

If I were looking for a U/W video set up I would start by looking at housings first. My 2 favorites are Light and Motion and Gates. After you decide on a budget and a housing type then you can look at the different cameras that the housings will accept. There are a lot more cameras out there than housings. Also you should look at lighting systems. You can shoot wide angle in clear, shallow water and utilize a filter deeper but to get good close ups and macro you'll need a good lighting system. HID if you can.- Sony's always had good cameras and Cannon has a good unit.

JVC has some cool housings that are light, compact and work with the flip-out display actually flipped out. Check out:

http://www.jvcservice.com/store/StoreOption.asp?Opt=VR

I just got a WR-DV96 and GR-DVM76u camera. Not as good low light performance as my Sony - but a lot easier to transport - the camcorder is palm size.

Mark

I use a lower mid-range DV camera (JVC DV800US) in an Ikelite housing underwater. It delivers pretty good quality, has enough features to suit my needs and I can afford to replace it if it floods.
Though internet video isn't particularly good quality, you can get an idea of what you can do with this grade camera here, here, and here.
Have fun...
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom