Mares vs SP JETS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
OK,
I have Split fin, but I also want a back up fin, I started a Volo thread but it turned out equal hated it and equal like it. Now, which would be the better fin, ScubaPro Jet Fins or Mares Avanti Quattro.

I started diving using a Avanti Quatros and switched to jets a few years ago. To me, the jet fins are hands down the best of the two.

In the water I've found that the jets give me more proplusion with what feels like less work. The best example is that with doubles, stages, and a drysuit, the quatros just couldnt move me through the water well - the jets could.

On a durability standpoint, the buckles on the jets are stainless steel whereas the buckles on the mares fins are plastic. I've seen people break the mares buckles, but it took me a pretty hefty pair of wire cutters to get through the buckles on the jets when I replaced them with spring straps.

As for cost, you should come out ahead with the jets as well. Just checked leisurepro and the jets run about $23 less than the quatros.

Jetfins - waaaay better.

I like my Quattros better. I've tried both, and I get better speed with less effort.

I used to have a pair of quattro for my drysuit, then I switched to volo. Quattro, in my opinion, is harder to use than the basic plana, you really need strong legs to work those little suckers, and if you do (I did for a short while, then I quit track), they give you all the power to fight anything, if not, you will get a lot of cramps.

Never tried jetfins, but heard a very mixed result, if you are considering between this and the quattro, I'd say toss a coin.

I like Mares Avanti Quattros.
First reason: speed, when I wear my size 8 wet suit boots, Regular size Quattros is faster than size M Jets.
Second reason: Colorful. Yes, I do like black, it looks so cool. When you need a pair of yellow fins... you know the answer.

cdtgray:
I started diving using a Avanti Quatros and switched to jets a few years ago. To me, the jet fins are hands down the best of the two.

I also made the same switch. I like my Jets because I pretty much frog kick except for when I need short boosts of power.

I don't have anything bad to say about the Mares though. I used the original Plana Avantis and then switched the Quattros when they came out. I have never had any problems with the buckles and such.

I have kept them around for free diving but I know that I will never use them. So I have a set a Avanti Quattros with Manta spring straps for sale if anyone wants them. I also have the original Avantis but these have their original straps (not spring straps).

Thanks guys, VIE'S always stciking by his JetFins :wink: . Will I have to change the straps to spring because the strap for the Jets look like they'll break easly?

started with jets when that was pretty much all there was.
I changed tot he avanti, which I still think is the best fin Mares ever made. I dont like the quattro, they are too flippy floppy for me and the Volos are some kind of sick joke played on the unsuspecting by a designer with an over active imagination. If Picasso were to design a pair of fins, he would probably come up with a volo force fin....

I switched back to my fallaron superlight jets for diving and some technisub blades for the pool.

Back
Top Bottom