Great Diving in Jupiter!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando Eric

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The clear water is back, The temperature at depth was 80* and the critters of the sea are everywhere!

The morning started with a brisk chilled wind of (aprox) 60* but luckily the water was a nice 80 degrees! The first dive was Center Street. Nice reef and viso was about 40 - 50'. There where the usual tropicals and a few lobster to be seen and I think one snared. I elected to not get a lobster stamp this year since my scheldule is too busy to waste my precious dive time looking under rocks and missing the relaxation of flying through the beauty and relaxing. I spotted a Spanish Lobster (shovel nose) and pointed it out to another diver (Steve) who expertly grabbed the critter and made it's dinner reservations.

I also got the chance to see something that I have never seen before. A smallish grouper swam by with a spotted eel in it's mouth. The grouper came to rest under a ledge where I observed the grouper with the eel still hanging out of it's mouth. I did not know grouper ate eel but the captain (PAUL) said grouper will eat anything.

The next drop was Lighthouse Point (not in FtL) a quick look down and YEP could see the bottom 80' below. Many turtles! I love turtles! The Dive Misstress (Kimberly) swam with one of the turtles actually I think it was more like the turtle swimming with her. She would bend and float and the turtle would turn a flipper and glide along it was one of the more majestic things I have ever seen. Guys, she is engaged and her "husband to be" was on board, and he is really a great guy, good luck to them.

There where two LARGE green moray's all the usual tropicals and reportly a shark swimming around though I did not see it.

I spotted a molted lobster head on the bottom. Steve the retired Colorado cop was working the ledge south of me moving north. I stuffed the head in a hole with the antennae sticking out. The Dive misstress saw me do this and with a EVIL Sadistic grin hit the button and a few "Quacks!" got Steve's attention. She pointed to the hole and he slowly sneaked up on the lobster hull. He expertly, slowly and VERY carefully stuck the snare in behind the lobster and started forward with the loop. The hull fell out of the hole and tumbled down the ledge. I got a good drink of water laughing but it was worth it!

At about mid dive steve and myself drifted into a awesome sight. The ledges formed a circle about fifty feet across and ten feet high. The entire bowl was full of small tropicals swimming and swirling with colors and flashes. A barracuda swam around looking for his next victim. The whole thing was like one of those dive dreams you have that you wake up from and swear you can taste the salt on your lips.

At the very end of the dive I was pushing my time limit to the final seconds (table diver) the scenary was undescribable. I was just in total awe of the fishes, the corals, the sea fans all moving in rhythm I wanted to stay there as long as possible but alas the ever moving hands on the watch showed :40 min and I turned to the dive misstress to signal that I was going up and she already was looking my way with the thumbs up and a okay sign.

I can't wait to get back, but I gotta work to get money so I can dive more!

Eric,
It's great to hear the diving is getting better. I still haven't had the chance to get out since the night dive I did with Jupiter Dive Center the weekend before Frances.

Al

Sounds great, I'm definately going to plan a road trip to the SE FL and hit as many of the beach dives off the Atlantic as possible in the amount of time I can get away with... should be one to remember :)

Orlando Eric:
The clear water is back, The temperature at depth was 80* and the critters of the sea are everywhere!

The morning started with a brisk chilled wind of (aprox) 60* but luckily the water was a nice 80 degrees! The first dive was Center Street. Nice reef and viso was about 40 - 50'. There where the usual tropicals and a few lobster to be seen and I think one snared. I elected to not get a lobster stamp this year since my scheldule is too busy to waste my precious dive time looking under rocks and missing the relaxation of flying through the beauty and relaxing. I spotted a Spanish Lobster (shovel nose) and pointed it out to another diver (Steve) who expertly grabbed the critter and made it's dinner reservations.

I also got the chance to see something that I have never seen before. A smallish grouper swam by with a spotted eel in it's mouth. The grouper came to rest under a ledge where I observed the grouper with the eel still hanging out of it's mouth. I did not know grouper ate eel but the captain (PAUL) said grouper will eat anything.

The next drop was Lighthouse Point (not in FtL) a quick look down and YEP could see the bottom 80' below. Many turtles! I love turtles! The Dive Misstress (Kimberly) swam with one of the turtles actually I think it was more like the turtle swimming with her. She would bend and float and the turtle would turn a flipper and glide along it was one of the more majestic things I have ever seen. Guys, she is engaged and her "husband to be" was on board, and he is really a great guy, good luck to them.

There where two LARGE green moray's all the usual tropicals and reportly a shark swimming around though I did not see it.

I spotted a molted lobster head on the bottom. Steve the retired Colorado cop was working the ledge south of me moving north. I stuffed the head in a hole with the antennae sticking out. The Dive misstress saw me do this and with a EVIL Sadistic grin hit the button and a few "Quacks!" got Steve's attention. She pointed to the hole and he slowly sneaked up on the lobster hull. He expertly, slowly and VERY carefully stuck the snare in behind the lobster and started forward with the loop. The hull fell out of the hole and tumbled down the ledge. I got a good drink of water laughing but it was worth it!

At about mid dive steve and myself drifted into a awesome sight. The ledges formed a circle about fifty feet across and ten feet high. The entire bowl was full of small tropicals swimming and swirling with colors and flashes. A barracuda swam around looking for his next victim. The whole thing was like one of those dive dreams you have that you wake up from and swear you can taste the salt on your lips.

At the very end of the dive I was pushing my time limit to the final seconds (table diver) the scenary was undescribable. I was just in total awe of the fishes, the corals, the sea fans all moving in rhythm I wanted to stay there as long as possible but alas the ever moving hands on the watch showed :40 min and I turned to the dive misstress to signal that I was going up and she already was looking my way with the thumbs up and a okay sign.

I can't wait to get back, but I gotta work to get money so I can dive more!

Hey Eric, what boat were you on? We dove out of Jupiter today, had less then 2' sea's, and water temp's from 80-82 degrees all day!! We were getting blue water as you say, and vis was up about 40-50' range as well!! What an awsome day today!! No wind, very slight current, vis is getting better, and no sea's !! We did 4 dive's today, in about 60' water,s, and i just got done washing the boat and gear out, and am hitting the sack getting ready for next weekend's trip to the key's!!

What a great weekend of weather!! All though it was cold this morning at 8 am, matter fact i didnt want to get out of the water cause it was so cold outside!! But beautiful day of diving :)

I dove on the Temptation/ Jupiter Dive Charters aka Paul. I started diving there when I moved to Fort Pierce from Orlando and have never had a bad experience yet. I already plan to dive Jupiter again on 10-30-04 providing of course I am not working that day. :D

Ya I was out there to that morning also. Things were much improved from the week before. I had gone out the prior Friday for a 3 tank dive. First site was Hole in the Wall: seas were rolling 4-6 feet and viz was still a managable 30-40 feet. But on the next two sites (closer to shore), via dropped down to 0-5 feet. First time I ever did a night dive at noon :)

Hi

Staying in Okeechobee for a few days but want to dive in Jupiter area Sat, day or night. Need to rent tanks, weight & possibly wetsuit. What charters and or shops.

Thanks in advance

Tom

:drooling: nice report Eric!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom