Air leak near pressure gauge - what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
I have noticed that I'm getting a small air leak where the hose mates into the pressure gauge. It is a Cressi spg only. I can resolve the problem by turning/spinning the gauge back and forth on the hose connection. Is this normal, or should I take it back to my LDS? It has done it since purchase last March and it doesn't occur all the time (more of a random event). Is there quick fix, i.e. add some lube to an o-ring (assuming I can get access to it)?

Take it back.
If it did it on the first dive, it should have gone back then. Good luck on getting it fixed for free after 6 months... warantees rarely cover hoses and O-rings, and some people actually overhaul their regs every 6 months, so the shop will probably tell you that it's due for service.

There should be NO air leaking from anything except maybe the bleed ports on some (Sherwood/Genesis) 1st stages. Any air coming out of anything but the exhaust port is a bad thing. If your shop tells you it's normal, find a different shop.

ScubaTexas:
I have noticed that I'm getting a small air leak where the hose mates into the pressure gauge. It is a Cressi spg only. I can resolve the problem by turning/spinning the gauge back and forth on the hose connection. Is this normal, or should I take it back to my LDS? It has done it since purchase last March and it doesn't occur all the time (more of a random event). Is there quick fix, i.e. add some lube to an o-ring (assuming I can get access to it)?

Is the gauge in a boot ? My ScubaPro gauge started hissing intermittently recently after a year of use. I'd spin it and it would stop. I brought it in to my LDS and couldn't make it happen. Later I popped it out of the boot and noticed some "buildup" where the hose "swivels". Cleaned it up - problem gone. I'm probably getting near time for a service....

lhpdiver:
Later I popped it out of the boot and noticed some "buildup" where the hose "swivels". Cleaned it up - problem gone. I'm probably getting near time for a service....

The "Thingie"

The "Flambus"

The "Insert"

The "Spool"

Lots written on these pages about that device...

K

Mo2vation:
The "Thingie"

The "Flambus"

The "Insert"

The "Spool"

Lots written on these pages about that device...

K

This is a post from "SB Staff" ? I made a post trying to share my experience to hopefully help a fellow diver. I guess the contribution you are making is that I should have kept my mouth shut ?

lhpdiver:
This is a post from "SB Staff" ? I made a post trying to share my experience to hopefully help a fellow diver. I guess the contribution you are making is that I should have kept my mouth shut ?
No...he is making a reference to himself having gone through this once before...and having a little laugh to himself...don't get your knickers in a knot

lhpdiver:

This wasn't me throwing up the oft seen "do a search, you dolt" quick reply. Take a breath.

Seeing the question and answers simply brought a smile to my face as I recounted several of these conversations, this specific thread came to mind.

That's it. Its all good. my friend.

Ken

Mo2vation:
This wasn't me throwing up the oft seen "do a search, you dolt" quick reply. Take a breath.

Seeing the question and answers simply brought a smile to my face as I recounted several of these conversations, this specific thread came to mind.

That's it. Its all good. my friend.

Ken

Sometimes communicating in forums such as this is like communicating underwater...

Charlie

I had the same thing on a Mares hose. The pressure fitting on the hose contracted due to cold water at 70 feet. Apparently it was a bad lot as 13 others failed as well.

Do you think it was the "pressure fitting failure due to cold water", with yours too ?

Mine was replaced under warranty.

lhpdiver:
Is the gauge in a boot ? My ScubaPro gauge started hissing intermittently recently after a year of use. I'd spin it and it would stop. I brought it in to my LDS and couldn't make it happen. Later I popped it out of the boot and noticed some "buildup" where the hose "swivels". Cleaned it up - problem gone. I'm probably getting near time for a service....

Thanks. I think this particular Cressi spg is made by the same source as the ScubaPro spg. I'll have to try that if the LDS will not resolve it. I couldn't imagine them not fixing it. If not, I'll give your suggestion a whirl.

Back
Top Bottom