Line to tie bolt snaps with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Furner

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it ok to use "para-cord" to tie bolt snaps with? I have lots of paracord and i just need to tie snaps to my regs. AFAIK its genuine military issue paracord, OD in color. I really have no need to buy hundreds of feet of cord just to have a few feet for bolt snaps.

What is your gut feeling as to the safety of using paracord to tie your bolt snaps on?

TIP: knots made with nylon cord can be secured against coming undone by placing a drop of cyanoacrylate on them.

Since this is the DIR forum, I can get away with this statement:

Nylon (cave line) is *proven* to work. Most use #24, although I've also used #18 too. Unless there is an added benefit to parachute cord, don't use it to save a few bucks. This sport is about sustaining life in a foreign environment... $$ is no object.

1 lbs of nylon cave (100s of feet) is less than $20. And you will need if for annual maintenance on things like re-winding your spools.

now that i look at the stuff, i would seem to think that paracord is stronger than cave line, but i dont know if the material is different than cave line, in a way that makes it less durable at depth.

PM me your address and I will mail you enough cave line to tie some bolt snaps on.

Furner:
now that i look at the stuff, i would seem to think that paracord is stronger than cave line, but i dont know if the material is different than cave line, in a way that makes it less durable at depth.
Homer,

cut your parachute cord to about 24" or 36". take some needlenose pliers and pull the guts out of the sheath. There are 8 nylon cords inside. Use one of them, with about 4 or 5 wraps, they'll work fine for tying on boltsnaps. Just put'em on wet and pull'em tight. (They're braided nylon.) Glue the knot like Pug said, then fuse the ends with a lighter.

Doc

- who has used the guts of parachute cord for some really, really wierd things.....

Uncle Pug:
TIP: knots made with nylon cord can be secured against coming undone by placing a drop of cyanoacrylate on them.
Cyanoacrylate: is that "Super Glue"?

And these good tips after I just cut all my line off and zip tied my bolt snaps... :wink:

I was going to suggest removing the inner cords from the line but someone already beat me to it. I used the method Doc used to tie the bolt snaps to my reg and pressure gauge. It's worked great for nearly a year now. We used to call the stuff 550 cord in the military as it supposedly had a breaking strength of 550 pounds, pretty strong stuff.

BTW, you can get #24 braded nylon line at Home Depot. It's exactly the same thing except it's not sold at a dive shop and it's not called "Cave Line" so it's about half the price. If I remember right I got a 500 foot roll for around $10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom