Lake Worth Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MantaRey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
wow seems like it's been years since I've been on this thing.

I was wondering if anyone knows of the legality of diving the lake worth pier...or what's left of it. Half the pier is under water now, when it was open huge schools of bait fish and tarpon feeding on them could be seen with spotlights at night. I've always thought that it would make a real good pier dive.

From my understanding the pilings were damaged rather than just the planks as usual. So the repair bill is estimated in the multi-millions, one can conlude that it will take awhile for it to be fixed. In the meantime, why let it go to waste?

*Rey

Seems like everytime Rey posts, it incites a riot... Y'all need to calm down and try to speak one at a time :)

In reference to the pier, City Ordinance says no diving within a distance in all directions of 500 feet therefrom.

MantaRey:
wow seems like it's been years since I've been on this thing.

I was wondering if anyone knows of the legality of diving the lake worth pier...or what's left of it. Half the pier is under water now, when it was open huge schools of bait fish and tarpon feeding on them could be seen with spotlights at night. I've always thought that it would make a real good pier dive.

From my understanding the pilings were damaged rather than just the planks as usual. So the repair bill is estimated in the multi-millions, one can conlude that it will take awhile for it to be fixed. In the meantime, why let it go to waste?

*Rey

Rey - call the local FWC and inquire. It be considered unsafe as well.. some place I wouldn't want to be if you bump the right piling and have it lean a little to far, if you know what I mean.

CBulla:
Rey - call the local FWC and inquire. It be considered unsafe as well.. some place I wouldn't want to be if you bump the right piling and have it lean a little to far, if you know what I mean.

I work for Lake Worth PD and there is no diving around the pier. CBulla is right that the pilings are very unstable and there is a lot of line, hooks and other items around the pier. Viz has not been all that great lately for diving in that kind of environment.

AH! Another fantasic person to have on ScubaBoard! Welcome to the best virtual SIT on the net Joanne!

Thanks for backing me with the instability and with regards to the ordinance. Maybe this should serve as an FYI to anyone diving around any near shore structure, exercise caution.

Hmmmm.. with the peir closed, maybe things will remain as such and possibly given an OK for diving around in the not so far off future.. maybe include it with the REEF clean up since we won't have to chase fisherman off of it. :)

Definitely CBulla. I think the pier would make a much better dive site than it is a fishing pier, alot like the commercial pier. I'm not sure if there's anything else off shore though, but I know there's tons of life under the pier itself.

I figured it would be too dangerous, it is after all literally falling apart. But how about the commercial pier? is that still divable?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom