A Few Question On The Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtxl1200

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, Fellow divers in Florida
Im heading to the Keys in the end of December. I have been there before and Stayed in Key Largo. This time I would like to go further down in the keys to do some diving. This time though I will be taking the non diving wife with me. So my question is. where are some places to stay further south like Islamorada or Marathon that is somewhat close to the dive shops and has some things for the non diving wife to do during the time I'm away for diving. Also some dive shop recomendations would be appreaciated.

With the exception of Key West, the rest of the Keys look exactly like Key Largo. Unless you fish, dive, or enjoy laying around the pool and drinking (my favorite things), there is not much else to do in the Keys.

There is plenty to do in Key West, if you like what it has to offer.

The best diving, by the way, is in the Upper Keys.

has quaint shops and art galleries, good restaurants (the Islamorada Fish Company is one of my favorites), Theater of the Sea (a land-based marine park), and more. The diving, fishing, kayaking, and backcountry eco-tours are awesome, and there are more than a few salons, spas, and massage therapists around. Accommodations are gonna run ya during the last week of December. Enjoy!

You know Ted, we did the same thing last Thanksgiving. We rented a condo in Islamorada and I dived every day with Ocean Quest in the morning. Diane shopped and and did the tourist thing while I was gone. It worked very well for us, Diane had LOTS to do and was very happy with it all. In fact, one afternoon when I was ready for her to come over with the car and pick me up, I called her cell phone and she was at a movie watching some 'chick flick'. So guess who sat on the patio of the resturant/bar next to the dive shop and had a couple beers???? You're right, it was me.

We had a great time and look forward to doing it again. I had a great experience with the folks at Ocean Quest and am looking at spending a weekend diving with them in January when we make our next trip to Florida. Bought a new wet suit last week, just for diving there next time.

matts1w:
The best diving, by the way, is in the Upper Keys.
I think the prettiest, healthiest reef is Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary, in the Lower Keys. I have dived from Dry Tortugas to Key Largo for many years.

gtxl1200:
Im heading to the Keys in the end of December. I have been there before and Stayed in Key Largo. This time I would like to go further down in the keys to do some diving. This time though I will be taking the non diving wife with me. So my question is. where are some places to stay further south like Islamorada or Marathon that is somewhat close to the dive shops and has some things for the non diving wife to do during the time I'm away for diving. Also some dive shop recomendations would be appreaciated.

Hi
My pick is just a bit north of Islamorada - Tavernier Tropic Vista Dive Resort & Motel
www.tropicvistadiveresort.com
The Hotel is older but neat and clean,Its on The Canal,with place to eat and dink in complex,the rooms have frige and stoves,The pool is heated! thats a break from the most that are not in Florida=They think us snow birds are nuts to take a dip in 75 weather!
The dive boat is a newer rig that has covers a mass amount of dive sites! and is fast,The owners are nice folks and boy did go out of the way to help us out and now we always go back!
My wife a non diver also loves the location,just a walk to the seafood market for some bugs that I couldnt catch! Fresh!Nice lay out with decks to tan,nice pool area with a bar,just a hop down the road to places to eat=Get to Craigs!!! Try the fish sandwich-
And the best the rates are cheap! Check em out and tell Toni Ill be down 5-weeks and counting!!
Brad

gtxl1200:

You might check out Hawk's Cay Resort on Duck Key at about MM61. It's a little more upscale than many Keys destinations. The dive shop (Tilden's) is right in the marina on the property so you wouldn't need the car to get to the boat. Tilden's also has another shop (and boat) in Marathon proper, another 10 miles or so down the road. The dive shop can make you a package at substantial savings over Hawk's Cay rates, although if you're going over New Year you'll probably still have to pay up. Tilden's can also make you a package at many of the less expensive motels in Marathon.

Hawk's Cay is nice and offers many water-related activities, including a dolphin encounter with animals that are housed and trained on-premises. It's also a short drive to the diversions of Marathon or Islamorada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom