finished my first Rescue class ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
... as an instructor, that is ...

It was a "team teaching" exercise with my friend and fellow instructor Cheryl. We had the pleasure of having three fellow ScubaBoarders in the class ... Overexposed2X, Lamont, and Tbone.

After suffering through a week's worth of boring and often meandering classroom presentation, and some confined water practice in a pool that simulated northwest visibility (10-12 feet), we put them through a grueling week-end of rescuing panicked divers, bringing up "unconscious" divers in various different gear configurations (standard, single rig harness, doubles rig harness), towing people in from all over the cove, removing and recovering gear ... even cutting one of their instructors out of her harness ... and doing search and recoveries ... we made 'em do accident plans, dive plans, contingency plans, and lunch plans. Then we capped the week-end with a nice 50-minute skills practice dive.

Congrats to our newest Rescue divers ... they earned every bit of it.

Dunno about them ... but I'm pretty tired ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Quote of the week: "Somebody get help ... I'm a better photographer than comedian" ... (OE2X)

I enjoy teaching this class myself. I good opportunity to torment a student or two :)

Al Mialkovsky:
I enjoy teaching this class myself. I good opportunity to torment a student or two :)
I enjoyed taking the class a couple years ago and being tormented...kinda sick in the head I suppose.

I was in the class and I must say (all friendship aside) that I take my hat off to both the instructors. Both Bob and Cheryl did an amazing job. It was very thorough and where possible built on or included skills that were learned from DIR-f. None of us were tortured so much as we were given tools and skills to further practise to make ourselves competent rescue trained divers. There was a lot of information, but it was presented in a very clear fashion.

This may have been Bob's first time teaching a rescue class, but from a students perspective you would never know it. I'd have to give both Bob and Cheryl an A+ on their performance. Furthermore I would recommend anyone looking for diving instruction to lookup either one. These two are top notch pros!

overexposed2X:
I was in the class and I must say (all friendship aside) that I take my hat off to both the instructors. Both Bob and Cheryl did an amazing job. It was very thorough and where possible built on or included skills that were learned from DIR-f. None of us were tortured so much as we were given tools and skills to further practise to make ourselves competent rescue trained divers. There was a lot of information, but it was presented in a very clear fashion.

This may have been Bob's first time teaching a rescue class, but from a students perspective you would never know it. I'd have to give both Bob and Cheryl an A+ on their performance. Furthermore I would recommend anyone looking for diving instruction to lookup either one. These two are top notch pros!

w0rd. what he said =)

i think if i was going to add anything to what OE2X said, it'd just be that the comprehensiveness was really good. we got to do rescues on a lot of people in a lot of different gear -- from the doubles to that ultra freaky air2-like inflator...

gave me a little experience in lift bags and reels that i hadn't been exposed to before as well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom