Sony P150

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacHeath

Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody used the new Sony P150 underwater? Or used it at all?

I have a P9, but the P150 has a 'semi-manual mode' that lets you select aperture size and shutter speed (oh, and 7MP rather than 4 for the P9).

Seems ideal, as I still want to be able to stick the thing in my pocket when on land, but would like more control. However is it really worth the money? And will the pixels be too small, and give noisy photos?

DPreview gave the 150 their highest recommendation. They said noise wasn't bad and the camera delivered good results. My only concern would be that you only have two real aperture settings.

I have the P100 (5MP version) and the pictures that I took underwater wasnt very great.
Yes, you can set manual settings such as ISO, apperture, ....
What is the link for the DPreview?

pilot81:
I have the P100 (5MP version) and the pictures that I took underwater wasnt very great.
Yes, you can set manual settings such as ISO, apperture, ....
What is the link for the DPreview?

[www.dpreview.com] You can try [www.imaging-resource.com]
for digital camera reviews as well.

I have used the Sony DSC P-5 and DSC P-10 underwater, with their respective Sony housings. The cameras are somewhat limited with their paucity of manual controls. The batteries are small and will only last one dive if you are using the flash much. You are further limited to Sony's memory sticks. The newer memory sticks don't work with many of the reading devices on the market for the older (blue) memory sticks. Had to take my laptop computer along last trip, because the new sticks wouldn't work with my old Digital Wallet. I've just purchased a Sea & Sea 20mm wide angle lens. Haven't had a chance to use it, but it should vastly increase the utility of this system.

The rig is really compact with little weight or drag. However, the controls are also compact, good luck with heavy gloves.

what type of setting are you guys using on the p-10 when you dive ie. apperture, and flash brightness,When you ran out of grease for the sany mpk case what type have you used, the sea & sea? have you tried to shot any video? I would appreciate any help that any=one is willing to give I am green on the photograghy end. drew

Here's a repeat of some recommendations I had posted before about the Sony's.

I have a DSC-P5, your's should be very similiar. Make sure you have a lanyard as the Sonys are slightly negative. You do not want your last view of your camera being it sinking into the deep. On this note most shots are at arm's length so make sure it's long enough.

The settings I use are as follows, Flash on low (anything else is to hot), macro on (be ready to toggle), and all other settings on auto. You can preview UW and if you then hit the zoom you can zoom in on the last shot to check the focus.

Make sure you seal the camera in an air conditioned room and be very carefull with cleaning the o-ring. Make sure the LCD is set to full information mode (you can not toggle in the case). Do not use the anti-fog solution (the only time I used it the camera fogged for the whole dive). The other issue is to minimize how long the camera is left on UW, this will cause fogging from the heat. My procedure is to turn it on, take the shot turn it off, and slip back under my BC strap

Drew I can't believe you have used all the grease. I've had my camera for 3 years and 100+ dives and have not used hardly any of the grease that came with the case.

On the post dive editing, here's a tip I wrote a while back on how to enhance your pictures post dive.

Photo Tip

thanks cecil for the help with the camera setting information. Does your p-5 have a white balance setting? And by the way I had to buy the housing off of ebay and the fine chinaman that sold it to me didn't include the grease or anything else I am starting from scratch.

Yes it does have a white balance setting but I do not use it as I use the flash and/or post dive processing. I have never been very happy with the pictures I took without the flash. They pretty much come out monocolor (ie. green).

I would not worry about the o-ring grease. I think I used it once several years ago and am still using the original o-ring.

My best friend just bought a PC-150 and is waiting for the UW houusing. Don't know when it's supposed to arrive or when we'll try it out. He bought it because he loved his late P-5 which he used for about two years. If you want to check out his
P-5 pictures follow the link and then choose from
Bonaire, Roatan and the 2004 Cozumel Trip (the 2002 Coz, Belize etc. are lousy stills from a PC-100 video camera).
Sorry for all the baby pics, there's a reason I can't promise P-150 shots.

The UW pictures in my gallery were taken with a P-12 (limited edition P-10, same thing really).

The main problem with either is that the onboard flash isn't much good UW (no camera's bild in flash is due to it's proximity to the lens) and strobes can't be connected properly.

Light & viz: If you're diving fairly shallow in clear water you can get amazing results as you can see in my friends galleries.

The UW pictures in my gallery were taken with a P-12 (limited edition P-10, same thing really).

What type of setting do you alter on your p-12 any? Have you had any luck at 80+
feet in desent vis conditions and so so light?
drew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom