Questions about SeaLife DC 310 3.3MP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randall

Reaction score
I'm very impressed with the knowledge on this site! I also appreciate the sharing of that knowledge! Thanks to you all....I'd like to get your opinions about the Sealife DC 310 cameras. I've been taking pictures with an old 35MM u/w camera and would like to move up....I've seen all the posts about the Olys......5050...5060..etc. Should I save my money and get an Oly? Or buy the Sealife. I've seen the Sealife pro package for around 1100 that comes with two strobes, hard case and about everything it seems I would need. To get an Oly C5060 + Ikelite housing + strobes, case etc would run close to 2100....maybe even more. Are the Oly's that much better? I usually dive the Caribbean at most two trips a year, with an occasional local dive in fresh water. Not a pro by any means! LOL.....Thanks for your input!!

Head to the Canon range or the Olympus range would be my advice.

The Sealife cameras will simply not give you the same image quality. You do not get good value for the money IMO.

Check out the thread Getting Started - there are examples of photos taken with basics (no strobe or lenses) that you can start with and then add to. Also check out LukeRob's gallery as he uses a Canon A70 & Inon strobe. A sweet set-up, I think.

There are a couple of shots in my gallery with the A70, too - I think one of a nudi with bright red rhinophores laying eggs comes to mind. There are also five or six examples under my name in the Getting Started thread.

Shot with Canon A70
8823orange_corals.jpg

8823Position.jpg

Try a Nikon 4300... I have one with a fantasea housing and I'm very pleased with both. DC 310 does a OK job... but if you go for a digital camera and a housing you will have more options and better results.

Stingrob
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=24286

Randall:
I'm very impressed with the knowledge on this site! I also appreciate the sharing of that knowledge! Thanks to you all....I'd like to get your opinions about the Sealife DC 310 cameras. I've been taking pictures with an old 35MM u/w camera and would like to move up....I've seen all the posts about the Olys......5050...5060..etc. Should I save my money and get an Oly? Or buy the Sealife. I've seen the Sealife pro package for around 1100 that comes with two strobes, hard case and about everything it seems I would need. To get an Oly C5060 + Ikelite housing + strobes, case etc would run close to 2100....maybe even more. Are the Oly's that much better? I usually dive the Caribbean at most two trips a year, with an occasional local dive in fresh water. Not a pro by any means! LOL.....Thanks for your input!!

If money is a concern, you could always go the Oly housing route and keep the overall price nearer to that of the DC 310. You could also start with the Ikelite housing and then add flash units as your ability increases. You'd be amazed at what you can do without a strobe. Macro works well with the onboard strobes of the Oly and Canon digicams and if you take the time to learn to custom white balance you can get good results without a flash.

Here's a link I saved from an earlier discussion on another message board... the author used the DC 310 with flash, and the Oly 5060 without, on the same trip. In all fairness, I do think he did an auto level in photoshop on the 5060 results, but such a process would not have added to the 310's photo.

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/photogalleries.php?s=6029

Have fun,

Steve

Randall:

Hi! I just picked up the DC-300 (which is the same camera but different housing). It is going back to the store this afternoon. I took some sample pictures with it (above-ground) and was very dissappointed in the quality! I am getting a Canon A-95 instead ($249 + 150 for the housing). Ends up being about $100 difference. But I think the results will pay for that threefold! (The A95 is a 5 megapixel.)

Hope that helps!
Chrissie

Want a comparison?

Queen.sized.jpg

I took this with a 3.3mp 310 w/a single external strobe.

26242angel2.jpg

Same fish, same dive, taken by SeaYoda and his Oly5050 - no external strobe.

Another?

morison_springs_10_03_04_025.sized.jpg

Hole at Morrison Springs taken with the 310 w/external strobe.

26242log11.jpg

SeaYoda taking a pic of the tree traversing the hole at Morrison with his Oly5050... slightly different angle but you get the idea...

The 310 belongs to one of my buddies who rarely dives, its a fun camera, but I'm ready to purchase my own setup and I will not be going the same route. I'm ordering an Oly5060 this week.

Great comparisions and about what I would expect. It's also important to remember that the Sealife costs about twice the Olympus and half the picture quality. What a deal.

I'll for sure be going with Oly....or Canon....What a comparison!! Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom