Hurricane damage in the Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Four hurricanes impacted Florida over the last couple of months.

The news coverage makes it seem that the entire state was hit by one or the other of these storms.

The Florida Keys was evacuated 2 times...for Charlie & for Ivan.

None of the storms came here to the Keys - we never had winds above 35-40 knots, ( gusts, not sustained) and electricity only went off for about 2 hours when a sailboat broke her mooring & hit a power line.

In short, the wrecks & reefs here have not been impacted at all...all businesses, hotels and dive shops are open & only closed during the evacuations.

I have been getting phone calls asking if we were yet able to dive and if we were beaten up too badly to dive.

The diving has been GREAT - vis at Looe Key was 60-70 feet yesterday. 2 weeks ago I was training trimix divers at the Wilkes-Barre and could look up from 210 feet and see the boat. :11ztongue

WooooHoooooo! That's great to hear.. I was wondering if the Keys were effected by all those storms, at least now we know we can always come down there for the weekend to dive.

That's good news, thanks for the report...
I heard you guys took a hit from the storms, but it was finanical and the tourism is really low right now. Good luck, wish I could just jump in my car and do a dive or two down there in the name of supporting the boats...but can't :(

Scuba_Jenny:
That's good news, thanks for the report...
I heard you guys took a hit from the storms, but it was finanical and the tourism is really low right now. Good luck, wish I could just jump in my car and do a dive or two down there in the name of supporting the boats...but can't :(

Mid-September on thru the end of October has always been slow for me at least.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom