Run over by a local diveboat: Scubatyme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
Those of you who know Gary, Scubatyme's operator, will know exactly how this kind of thing could happen and why I'll be going out of my way to recommend new divers avoid Scubatyme.

Joeamit and I were tied up to a far mooring bouy just north of the Commercial Blvd. Pier (Angler's). I distinctly remember seeing the BACK of Scubatyme, Gary's boat, heading off into the distance while we were tying up - I didn't want to get in his way and we weren't.

By the time we had geared up - dive flag flying - Gary was back to pick divers up a little north of us. The current was about 1.5 knotts south, and in 3 minutes the divers would have been past us, but Gary pulled his boat to within 25 years of us and drifted down upon us - still tied to the bouy and donning our BCs. This was unsafe and probably illegal.

But that's not what angered me - here's Gary's boat drifting down upon us rapidly while we're still preparing to dive - FLAG UP - when he comes to the side and - not even needing to raise his voice at this point - says, "Hey guys sorry but I have divers in the water."

I didn't get it at this point. I thought he recognized he screwed up and was apologizing and though that was great of him ... but he kept drifting down upon us! He was going to let his boat run us over!!!!!

I unclipped the diveyak and kicked west to get out of his way AS HIS BOAT RAN OVER THE BOUY I HAD BEEN CLIPPED TO NOT A MINUTE BEFORE. While I was getting out of the way, one of the dives on Gary's boat leaned over and casually asked me how I liked the diveyak... he didn't know we were in trouble, but it illustrates just how close we were... maybe 5 yards at the closest.

What if Joe or I had forgotten to turn our air on? One of us would be dead. What if I hadn't been experienced enough to manage the hardware and had lost something because I was rushed under? Was Gary playing chicken with us our would he really have run our dive platform over that far out?

We dropped down and kicked like hell to get the diveyak out of his way.

I've seen Gary rush students off the boat, and I've heard him make negative remarks about divers and other boat operators behind their backs. Generally I have found the man to be unpleasant and disrespectful. Still, I've dove with him when necessary to go with a group and have gone out of my way to keep my observations off this board when asked for recommendations, but this is the first time I've felt that he is a menace. Rushing students is bad enough, but when you ignore flag laws and threaten shore/kayak divers in DEEP WATER, you're crossing a line.

This morning I'll be able to report him to the Coast Guard and am thinking of other ways to make sure his attitude is corrected.

Way to go Mike. Glad you are safe. That could have been a lot worse. I personally for other reasons will never dive Scubatyme again. Just personal but its interesting how these things run true to form. Glad to see you are alright. I'm glad I can always trust my perception.

Mike,

I'm glad that you and Joe are okay. Sounds like a conversation with the Coast Guard may be in order...

Grier

call the coast guard and report him.

I'd be calling the USCG for sure. If I had the opportunity to get the name or bow number of boats that have made those sorts of close calls to me I can tell you without a doubt I'd be on the phone and in their office with the issue!

Glad your ok, this is when you want to take the speargun out with you!! :wink:

Glad to know you guys are ok, Mike. Let us know how theCG call goes.

This morning I'll be able to report him to the Coast Guard and am thinking of other ways to make sure his attitude is corrected.

There is also the Marine Patrol, local PD, FWC, and you could CC in the list of "sponsors" listed here: http://www.scubatyme.com/sponsors.htm

Also don't forget the county comissioners and city officials.

Hay Mike,

Glad to hear it was only a learning experience and both of you are ok. I've heard many bad things about that OP and have avoided them at all costs over the last couple years. Deffinaltely make the call as people like that shouldn't be operating a tricycle let alone a charter boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom