What's the diving like at Port Orford

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
A good friend just invited my wife and I up to their vacation home in Port Orford on Thanksgiving weekend. She said there was some good diving but didn't know much more than that. So what's the diving like and where? Any nice easy spots close by that I could hit while I'm up there?

Thanks,

Yes there is some killer diving in Port Orford. First you need a boat, all of the dive sites are off shore some as close as a 1/2 mile or so, and others nearly 9 miles out at sea. Second you need air, as of 2002 there was no permenant air fill station. Some times there are random people filling tanks or the fire station can give you fills if your lucky to catch some one there who knows how. During Nov. the ocean gets flat nasty so good luck on that. But if the stars align there is great diving there. I would recomend Sea Sports dive charter out of Eugene Or. if they are still in biz. and Eugene skin diver supply also does charters to PO.

jumbo:
Yes there is some killer diving in Port Orford. First you need a boat, all of the dive sites are off shore some as close as a 1/2 mile or so, and others nearly 9 miles out at sea. Second you need air, as of 2002 there was no permenant air fill station. Some times there are random people filling tanks or the fire station can give you fills if your lucky to catch some one there who knows how. During Nov. the ocean gets flat nasty so good luck on that. But if the stars align there is great diving there. I would recomend Sea Sports dive charter out of Eugene Or. if they are still in biz. and Eugene skin diver supply also does charters to PO.

Thanks. I was hoping for a nice shore dive early in the morning one day so this doesn't sound real good.

Port Orford diving is like septic tank diving. If you get 5 foot of vis everyone will brag about what a wonderful dive it was.

I've dove off the jetty and done a surface swim into the cove a few times. Why? Because I love to dive even in septic tank conditions.

If the sea isn't flat Thanksgiving don't do it from shore, ever. It's like diving a washing machine septic tank.

AL-

Have you been to any of the Hay Stack Rocks? Port Orford Reef? Wash Rock?, My dive crew has been going to PO for nearly 28 years in a row, and not because its a sewer tank. I have yet to dive any of the jetties or coves, but I guess your talking about all the formations next to the docks? On the off shore rocks I have seen the bottom of the boat from 70' and in ORE thats about as good as it gets.

Y'all ever dive Coos Bay? Sunset beach, or the cape?? I was raised there but left before I was certified I visit from time to time but whenever I go to the LDS in Pony Villiage Mall they seem kinda hush hush even though I was born and raised there.

Well, I've searched the internet and can't find any dive shops in Port Orford or anywhere near there to try to dive with. So, if anyone wants to try to get out on a dive or two on Friday or Saturday on Thanksgiving weekend, please let me know. I'm open to anything really, just want to see what Oregon coast diving is like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom