Possible trip to Jacksonville, FL area around New Years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

Might be putting together a family vacation to Jacksonville, FL from the 30th of December to the 5th of January to see my daughter's family and grandson.

Last time I was down that way I met up with a buddy I met on Rodale's site and went to Ginnie. Wouldn't might trying something else this time and would love to possibly hook with with someone in the Jacksonville area to get wet.

Were would a good place to go that time of year? Spring or ocean?

Plans are still in the air but wanted to get an idea of anyone would be interested!

Jeff

Springs or a Manatee dive in Crystal
River.Few if any dive charters that time of year here.Vis is rarely over 20' inshore and 40' offshore during Dec,Jan,Feb.WTs are falling from the lo 70s into the 60s by that time.Many large animals migrating thru can make for an interesting dive in lo-vis.One of my favorite times to spearfish due to the lack of crowds.

Yeh, it's crazy seein a tiger shark pop up out of the 15 feet vis while spearin. I agree with the lack of crowds, one of my favorite times to dive here.

With the right notice I could easily be convinceed to take a day off work and hit a couple of springs.

Will probably want to stick to the east side of the state or the middle. Don't want to waste an entire day driving!

Still getting this planned and if I can afford it!! But will post back when it is certain and what day might be good for getting wet!!

Jeff

AevnsGrandpa:
Will probably want to stick to the east side of the state or the middle. Don't want to waste an entire day driving!

You could get to Ginnie Springs or some of the others in about 2 hours. Jacksonville to Crystal River would be a a little over three hours.

Well we are going on the trip. Can't wait.

It's interesting to me when Florida divers talk about bad vis, it's means 40' or less. When an Illinoisian talks bad vis we mean 5' or less!!! (Water temps in the 60's is norm for us also!!)

Anyway, getting out in the ocean or the springs would be a treat.

Mavjax, I'll touch bases with you one on one once we get closer to the trip dates. What dates do you think might bwe good with you?

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom