reason for two computers??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a good reason to have two dive computers? Should they bought be of the same brand? The one I dive with now has acted like. It didn’t want to work just one time. Its about three years old and I had just replaced the batteries. Except for that no problem.

Miller:
Is there a good reason to have two dive computers? Should they bought be of the same brand? The one I dive with now has acted like. It didn’t want to work just one time. Its about three years old and I had just replaced the batteries. Except for that no problem.

For recreational diving 2 computers are not necessary in my opinion. I assume you have an idea of the length of your dive and the depth allowed for non deco. I also assume you would be checking your computer fairly often. If it did fail you would notice it before deco and would immediately begin your ascent.

--Matt

And even LESS necessary in technical diving, since your dive plan and contingencies are already thought through well in advance. If your bottom timer goes kaput, that's what your buddie's wrist is for.

I do not agree about having the buddy's gauge as a backup. I believe in having two depth/bottom timers. I think it is a bunch of crap to say that one is okay but two is an entanglement hazard. It is good to have two so that you can check one against the other. Otherwise, if one is acting up, you might not even notice that it is off. True, this rarely happens (Usually, they work or they are dead). I just like being prepared. Honestly, how much extra wrist real estate does the second one take up?

I also feel the same way about lift bags. I carry one in my storage pack and one rolled at the base of my back plate. I carry at least two spools (on deeper dives, I use a reel and keep the spools for just in case).

So long as what you are carrying does not get to the point of becoming a task load or an entanglement hazard, you are better prepared to handle more contingencies. Think for yourself, and don't do anything just because a hundred people shout loudly at you that there is only one way.

Now, on the other hand, I am talking about a depth gauge/bottom timer. I would not go with a computer.

Boogie711:
And even LESS necessary in technical diving, since your dive plan and contingencies are already thought through well in advance. If your bottom timer goes kaput, that's what your buddie's wrist is for.

Yeah, you break his other wrist. While he's screaming in pain, you grab his computer and swim for it while the sharks go for him!!!!! :eyebrow: ROFLMAO

Remember kids, dive with the "Amish Diving Society" and you don't even need weights, much less computers. You just carry your stone tablets with your wet-notes chiseled onto them!!!

You will, however, need someting to tuck your beard into, and a strap to hold your funny hat on your head!!! :11:

Oh my yes... if you need one computer then you probably need two! I remember in one of my threads on mutilevel diving without a computer or tables one fellow was adamant that you should have two computers.... in fact I think he might have been in favor of three and polling them to see which one was to be believed. :D

But in reality computers are not necessary at all. A simple bottom timer and depth gauge suffice when used by someone with a rudimentary understanding of decompression theory and the self-discipline to take control of their dive.

Miller:

There is a great divergence of opinion on this board, but I can think of one circumstance where it would be useful. If you are on a multi-day/multi-dive per day trip and the computer dies, it would be great to have a back up. There are ways to work around this issue, but this would be an effective back up.

ScubaDadMiami:
I do not agree about having the buddy's gauge as a backup. I believe in having two depth/bottom timers. I think it is a bunch of crap to say that one is okay but two is an entanglement hazard. It is good to have two so that you can check one against the other.

OK - tell me - you're on a dive, and you look down at your wrist to check your depth. One computer says 88 feet, the other says 109 feet.

What are you checking as a reference to figure out which one right?

Boogie711:
OK - tell me - you're on a dive, and you look down at your wrist to check your depth. One computer says 88 feet, the other says 109 feet.

What are you checking as a reference to figure out which one right?

The fact that I am getting two different readings alerts me in the first place. At that point, I signal to my buddy and check to see what his/her gauge reads. That will usually be that.

I do keep an awareness of where I am during the dive. So I will have a pretty close idea of where I am anyway even before looking at another person's gauge. I just like the idea of redundancy for a piece of electronic equipment that can flood during a dive. I admit that this is less common these days. But, "stuff" happens.

If I am in super low vis in mid water, can't tell where I am and, for some reason, old Murphy show up, causing team separation, I would just go with the more conservative reading. Better to be too conservative for no reason.

Let's turn the tables: suppose you are in mid water with poor visibility and somehow you become separated from your team. Your gauge fails. What would you do then?

BTW, I don't use a computer. I use a Suunto D3 in gauge mode and an Uwatec digital gauge for the backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom