oyster diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pammyk

Reaction score
I just went oyster diving a couple of weekends ago in Kent Island which is in Maryland just over the bay bridge heading towards Ocean City, Maryland. It was a BLAST!!!!! I got a bushel of oysters and ate them for 2 days straight. Anyone else ever go oyster diving?

Pam

I havent been oyster diving yet in fact I dont even know if we have them here in Southern California. But i did grab a couple while snorkeling down in Mexico.

pammyk:
I just went oyster diving a couple of weekends ago in Kent Island which is in Maryland just over the bay bridge heading towards Ocean City, Maryland. It was a BLAST!!!!! I got a bushel of oysters and ate them for 2 days straight. Anyone else ever go oyster diving?

Pam

I went out this past saturday actually and it was alot of fun. . . my buddy and i don't eat oysters so we gave them away, I think someone got a good deal. . . . . anyway it was alot of fun and i would like to go again but i heard all the spots at the LDS were filled :(

anywho,
John

The water in Scotland is too cold for natural oysters they have to import the seed for oyster farms. Plenty of wild king and queen scallops and razor clams though. The razors at this time of year are mostly bedded deeper in the sand, very few are showing now that Summer is over. I've been catching a few scallops in Loch Fyne and the good news is I'm and going out again tomorrow.

I've been checking the books and find there is a native oysters in (Ostrea edulis) which was once abundant in many parts of Scotland. Native oysters are now comparitively rare here and Loch Ryan is the only place left that supports a fishery. Pacific oyster (Crassostrea gigas) is farmed here as it grows more quickly. I guess I'll have to check out Loch Ryan. I've been meaning to go down that way and look for operation deadlight submarines.

I've been checking the books and find there is a native oysters (Ostrea edulis) which was once abundant in many parts of Scotland. Native oysters are now comparitively rare here and Loch Ryan is the only place left that supports a fishery. Pacific oyster (Crassostrea gigas) is farmed here as it grows more quickly. I guess I'll have to check out Loch Ryan. I've been meaning to go down that way and look for operation deadlight submarines.

How would determine if an area can be "farmed"? I was in N.Fla and we were going to just pick up some BIG clams that were in some of the inland waters and were told that there are only certain areas that we can get Bi-Valves from. There is also a LARGE amount of "heavy Metal" industry in the Lower Chesapeake and I am not sure if I'd feel good about eating a living Water "Filter" in these waters... [:)]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom