Any word on Lake Denton?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Dad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm planning on going to Lake Denton on Saturday or Sunday to do dive #1 & #2 with my 10 yr old. Has anyone heard if it's closed? I hope it's still open. I know Highlands County got hit with Charlie, Frances & Jeanne...

Al

Doubt it is closed, there isnt anything to close, no gates or such. Ask Fgray1 or GDI, they were there this last weekend playing with stuff and teaching, so i should expect it to be open.

Lake Denton is doing fine. The temp was 80 F and the vis about 15 ft

Great! I'll be there on Sunday... if the weather is good. I can't wait to get my 10 yr old in the water. He's been wonderful in the pool... I wish all my students were as enthusiastic about diving as he is.

Colin,

Why? It's fine when you need to dive, but the wind is blowing, but it's not a great place to dive.

CBulla:
I've got to dive this lake :wink:

Colin,
I'll be there around 10AM on Sunday. I'm planning on two dives. Yes, they're training dives with my 10 yr old... but... most of the time we're going to be exploring with him. Since he's my only student on this trip... we're going to burn a lot of air.

I do have a map on how to get there and a DM's mapping project of the lake. PM me, and I'll send it to you.

Al

I took Riley (my 10 yr old wanna be diver) to Lake Denton today. It's a great lake for training. The vis wasn't too good, though. I think we had maybe 10'. I don't think Riley was too comfortable with the limited vis. The water temp was 80... just like the pool.. so, that was good.

There really isn't much to see in the lake. A couple small sunken boats... and a lot of muck. But, there's a roped trail... one instructor that was there referred to it as the "highway". From the looks of it... it would be a good place to run a navigation course.

Al

Al

Scuba_Dad:
The vis wasn't too good, though. I think we had maybe 10'.
Sounds about normal to good for Denton. I have seen it closer to 5ft, with pockets of zero viz when students rain down on you and hit the bottom :wink:

Scuba_Dad:
From the looks of it... it would be a good place to run a navigation course.
Its actually quite good for that. There is natural terrain of the pond bottom sloping towards the centre of the bowl shaped lake. You can use certain points of the rope course as a start of nav courses and see if you can get back (or how near to that start point) to that same point, but knowing if you cross the line you have missed it, etc.

Glad you had fun in an uninspiring lake, i did the same kind of stuff by practicing at Alexander Springs with Scubafool on line work this afternoon. :wink:

simbrooks:
Sounds about normal to good for Denton. I have seen it closer to 5ft, with pockets of zero viz when students rain down on you and hit the bottom :wink:

Diving with a 10 yr old on his first OW dive made it intereting... I think he was a little intimidated with the fact that this was his first time in OW... then with the limited vis... he had a real hard time with his buoyancy. So, I took him home... we talked about it on the way home... then, we got in the pool and worked on his buoyancy. He did great. We started throwing the torpedo in mid water... he did super...

I'll probably be back there again next weekend...

Al

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom