DIR and traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What do you DIR divers do when traveling? Well, more directly, those who use primarily double tanks. I am considering purchasing a set but for the majority of the diving I do the extra isn't necessary. I am diving with a 15L single tank now and as long as I stay within no deco limits to 30-35 meters I have enough air, (in my limited knowledge) I surface from a dive to 30 meters to within 1-2 minutes of no deco with 50-60 bar remaining in the tank. Even if I buy a double DIR style valve for reg redundancy, what do you others do when you fly somewhere to dive? Only single tanks available, no double valves available, How many carry things like tanks in checked luggage and how many use a different configuration when traveling?

Perhaps I have two issues here but look for some advice on both,
thanks,
DP

Just as an observation ... on the "official" DIR video, George mentions single aluminum 80's as the rig of choice for open-water diving. (and then lists several reasons why)

I don't recall what he said regarding valves ...

Ok, I watched it ... the tank valve appears to be a standar Y-valve... and a single regulator... I suppose as long as you're not in an overhead, and you maintain a minimum-deco dive, the redundancy is your buddy, and starting an ascent.

Now a lot of rental gear is Yoke only, so you'd have to cut yourself a little slack there.

If you can't find a place to rent doubles... you can always take a set of bands and a manifold with you and build your own from rental tanks.

I'm not exactly sure what this question has to do with DIR...

If your open water diving within the no decompression limits your redundancy is your DIR Team mate. A single tank is more than appropriate provided that it carries enough air for you and your teammate in an out of air situation and that his does the same.

When traveling your primary concern will likely be finding a DIR buddy...

One of the tenants of DIR is minimalism...take only what you require. If you are doing no overhead, recreational, non-decompression dives, you don't need big doubles. Many DIR divers dive primarily with doubles to stay in practice and for convenience but it is more than acceptable to dive with a single.

cornfed:
I'm not exactly sure what this question has to do with DIR...

I couldn't decide whether I should post it in the DIR or Hagarthian forum. DIR won the coin toss, put it where you like :eyebrow:

TheDivingPreacher:
DIR won the coin toss, put it where you like
Fair enough. From the title I figured this thread would be about finding a buddy, dive operator, etc.

didn't mean to mislead anybody, just showing my inexperience at this. :)

TheDivingPreacher:
What do you DIR divers do when traveling? Well, more directly, those who use primarily double tanks. I am considering purchasing a set but for the majority of the diving I do the extra isn't necessary. I am diving with a 15L single tank now and as long as I stay within no deco limits to 30-35 meters I have enough air, (in my limited knowledge) I surface from a dive to 30 meters to within 1-2 minutes of no deco with 50-60 bar remaining in the tank. Even if I buy a double DIR style valve for reg redundancy, what do you others do when you fly somewhere to dive? Only single tanks available, no double valves available, How many carry things like tanks in checked luggage and how many use a different configuration when traveling?

Perhaps I have two issues here but look for some advice on both,
thanks,
DP

If you do the math for rock bottom at 100 ft (30??m), you will find that you really don't have enough gas in an AL 80 to do the dive. How does your tank compare to an AL80?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom