Wierd Stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poogweese

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
While in the midst of my underwater exploration for old china last Saturday my dive buddy thought it would be fun to drop a big sunflower starfish on my head. Yes, it was funny. I went back to my searching and he went out and found a dungeness crab-which was also dropped on my head. We had a good laugh after the dive and he thinks I'll forget... :wink:

I was just curious...for you other cold water folks out there: What's the strangest thing you have been: bitten by, bumped by, poked by, had dropped on you, or have been grabbed by while underwater?

Poog

I was diving at Hoodsport, just goin accross the bottom seeing what there was to see. As I passed over a blanket of short seaweed I saw something move that wasn't with the same rythem as the weeds around it. I grabed my buddy and went back for closer inspection. I saw what looked like a clump of moss moving slowly accross the floor. I shwished the water upwards to bring it up into better view. I caught the clump in my open hand, and after a moment it began climbing very quickly off my hand and up my arm. It moved much like a spider, not knowing what it was, I brushed it off and watched it glide back to the sea floor. We watched it for a bit longer, it blended into the surroundings perfectly and was a very wierd thing to see. I later found out that it was probably a decorator crab.

While diving at keystone with my buddy I spotted in the distance something swimming to us. I got the attention of my bud and we swam toward the critter. Vis was around 20 feet. To make a long story short the "swimming critter turned out to be a dead goat in the current, kind'a freeked us out a little. :11:

I was diving at Ginnie Springs, just swimming out of the river into one of the coves...maybe 10' deep, max, when this bird came flying by me. I hung there and watched as it flew right across in front of me..., wings flapping, just as if it was flying in air. It's one thing to know that water birds dive underwater..., its another thing to have one go flying by you at about 10' ffw or so. It was a real WTF? moment... :freak:

Captain Ron:
While diving at keystone with my buddy I spotted in the distance something swimming to us. I got the attention of my bud and we swam toward the critter. Vis was around 20 feet. To make a long story short the "swimming critter turned out to be a dead goat in the current, kind'a freeked us out a little. :11:

Kind of the last thing you would expect, eh? Reminded me of a story a few years ago about a submersible and crew doing some deep survey work off Kodiak Island out in the Gulf of Alaska-they found a holstein cow! (They guessed it fell off a barge)
Got Milk :wink:

Poog

I found a cat once while doing a safety stop at Three Tree North ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I found a cat once while doing a safety stop at Three Tree North ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
How quickly you forget about TBone and the starfish in his crotch.

Ran into, quite literally, a gigantic, Beagle-sized rat at about 20' right at the dock at Buddy Dive in Bonaire. It was nayuh-sty.

I was teaching a rescue class during the time all the transient killer whales were cruising the canal last year and while bringing the class back in underwater came a across a huge eerily white fleshy carcass of some large animal!

That's not something I see everyday. And while commenting on it topside, I had some other divers on the site, said "yeah that's weird, but not as weird as it was for us to come across the fake arm you have imbedded for your class to find!!!"

...ooops.... :wink:

Cabazone bit my leg at Edmonds
Greenling bit my finger at Port Hardy
I almost was hit by a bird near Sekiu, at 30 fsw
Pulled around by the fins by a sea lion,
Found a half eaten seal at Alki beach, and at Hoods Canal
surfaced 1' away from a bloated porpoise in heavy surf (with a gun shot wound), Ore Coast

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom