Thimble SPGs on Deco Bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaputz

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Stupid question for you all - I'm currently using brass gauges with the 6" hoses and was curious why the compact "thimble" gauges aren't used on deco bottles. Figure there must be a logical reason or people would be using them. Thanks in advance.

Putz

Since they're so small they have very poor resolution. When looking for an SPG it's best to go with one that has markings every 100 psi.

:classic:

It'd be damn near impossible to use on a stage bottle where you need to precisely know your pressure, a couple people I know use them on O2 where the exact pressure isn't quite a concern (2200 or 2300 ain't gonna matter for 10 min of deco) although that's not DIR.

Damn, you guys are fast. I knew they wouldn't well work for stages, but couldn't think of any issues for deco... Thanks.

Putz

scubaputz:
Damn, you guys are fast. I knew they wouldn't well work for stages, but couldn't think of any issues for deco... Thanks.
You'd end up with two sets of regs. One with the thimble gauge for your deco and one with a full size gauge for your stage bottle. *shrug* Why not just have one setup that works for both?

A rigidly attached gauge can't be a good thing.

You would have two sets anyway if you carry a stage and deco bottle on the same dive.

cornfed:
You'd end up with two sets of regs. One with the thimble gauge for your deco and one with a full size gauge for your stage bottle. *shrug* Why not just have one setup that works for both?

I have a hard enough time reading those tiny gauges on the surface, so I don't want to futz with them under water. I only use the thimble gauge on my argon bottle, because I don't need to check the pressure during a dive.

scubaputz:

Putz

Your regs need to be interchangable in case of a failure. All regs should be configured the same so that they can be used on all bottles, regardless of it's contents. This is especially useful in ocean diving where deco gas is carried with you at all times.

No - stay with your gauges on the 6 inch hose. Also, if there is a problem. You and your buddy can see how much gas you have left in the bottle. Basically, easier to read

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom