Freedive to SCUBA ratio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, kinda lame, but no one else has started a thread in our new forum, so there ya go.

How many freedives do you do for every SCUBA dive? Or, if you are like me, how many SCUBA dives do you do for every freedive?

Myself, I must admit that cavern diving & doing practice dives to work on skills takes up most of my diving time, so I would say that I do maybe 10 SCUBA dives for every freedive. How's about the rest of you?

hey scubafool, I would say my ratio is around 2:1. Even though i teach scuba, I have gotten so into freediving. I actually log my freedives! Well at least over the last couple of years.

LOL, if I were to have logged my freedives at the high point, I would have quite a few more of those than SCUBA. If I can't scare up a cavern buddy this weekend, I think I just might go log a few more. The hole at Silver Glen Springs is really nice, and the schools of fish make the rest intervals more interesting.

scubafool:
LOL, if I were to have logged my freedives at the high point, I would have quite a few more of those than SCUBA. If I can't scare up a cavern buddy this weekend, I think I just might go log a few more. The hole at Silver Glen Springs is really nice, and the schools of fish make the rest intervals more interesting.

recreational freediving or are you spearing? where is Silver Glen springs near?

Completely recreational. Silver Glen Springs is off of Lake George, which is just a REALLY wide part of the St. Johns River., which flows south to north through a goodsized portion of FL, emptying into the Atlantic at Jacksonville. Depths there are around 20'. The spring has a really strong outflow, which requires a little "technique" to defeat if you want to get into the cavern.

If you want depth, the place to go is Blue Springs. With the currently high water levels, you can get OW depths of ~65'. Keep in mind that the outflow is REALLY strong, so getting that deep is not as easy as it might sound.

Want some more babbling concerning freediving Florida's springs, LOL?

I would have to say that for this year, its a 1:1 ratio ending with more scuba than freediving likely, but last year it was more freediving than scuba.

I have to confess that my ration is more like 4:1. I'm just short of 140 scuba dives, and only about 30 freedives. Of course, my average runtime on scuba is only about 45 minutes to an hour, whereas my freedives seldom run shorter than 2 hours and can run for mostly all day.

I used to tell myself it was due to the lack of buddies for freediving, but that's only part of it......

scubafool:
If you want depth, the place to go is Blue Springs. With the currently high water levels, you can get OW depths of ~65'. Keep in mind that the outflow is REALLY strong, so getting that deep is not as easy as it might sound.

Want some more babbling concerning freediving Florida's springs, LOL?

I'm going to freedive Blue Springs this weekend, would love to hear some more babbling..

My freedive to scuba ratio has been about 2:1 in favor of freediving as where I used to live (the west coast of Canada) it was easy to find a freedive buddy. However, here in Florida it seems harder to find folks to hook up with to freedive, and very easy to find scuba divers...

That complaint, the lack of buddies, seems to be a common one.

I remember the first time I shyly slipped into the local dive shop to lurk/hide..... I recall asking if there were any other freedivers in town and after the blank looks, finally found a staffer who knew what I meant..... seems a lot of 'freedivers' (snorkellers, usually) "discover" scuba and never look back. (sigh) One of the staffers in the shop can dive deeper than I can on breath hold and can hold her breath roughly twice what I can, yet she doesn't consider herself a 'freediver' nor is she interested in pursuing it. I brought a freedive buddy from Toronto with me to the shop once and he left almost gnashing his teeth in frustration over such wasted talent as that staff member has........

When I lived in Kingston I believe I was the only practicing freediver in that city. Here in Toronto there's a small bunch of us that get together, but still, in a city of 2-point-something million there's still less than a dozen of us...... :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom