You won't believe this...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
...So I'm reading my latest Scuba Diving magazine tonight and my mouth fell open. Here's an exerpt from p. 75, regarding the newest, latest and greatest "Apollo Sports Bio Fin XT/C-Series":

"The C-Series designation refers to the XT's new commercial-grade straps, with built-in stainless steel coil springs and rugged rubber grips. They through-bolt to backing plates on the foot pocket and appear virtually bulletproof. Test divers loved them."

They're like a Halcyon spring strap covered in rubber instead of cloth.

Later, one tester said this:

"This fin is a rocket... Love the strap... The spring-loaded strap is a revolutionary breakthrough."

Still later in the article, the author says this:

"We need better buckles. Never in the recent history of fin tests have we had so many buckle disasters, including pins coming out at depth, spring-loaded strap adjustment buttons falling apart on the dive boat and straps snapping on the swim step. And these are new fins. Expensive fins. A broken buckle or strap can bring a dive to a screeching halt. That's why ScubaLab thinks fin manufacturers should include at least one spare strap/buckle assembly with each pair of fins they sell."

Why they'd suggest this when the obvious solution is right in their hand is beyond me... After all, the point isn't to replace a broken strap with another that will do exactly the same thing...

Think we should tell them that spring straps have been around since the mid 60's - or that many of us have been using them on our Jets back when they were touting the wonders of the Tusa quick-release buckle? :D

Idiots.

What'll they think of next? The "nonsplit" fin? "Really stiff" fins? Fins made of rubber only so that they don't get all marred up through years of use?

"What'll they think of next? The "nonsplit" fin?"
:D

but theirs are new they are rubber coated. :wink:

I do have to say that when I wear my spring strapped fins everyone wants to know what they are and where can they get them. Of course the LDS doesn't carry them so he gets pissed when I tell them that I got them through LP.

Hey, the companies send the magazines samples of their products and the magazines are only obliged to make them look like the best thing that ever happened to the dive industry since aqua lung.

Another thought: The magazines surely know by now that very involved divers read their articles(especially gear reviews) but never believe them. So instead of making their reviews accurate and not do anything(even harm to themselves), they might as well aim for non-avid divers who rely on only magazines and maybe one LDC and they and sell them the products.

Hey Seajay, hows the world record attempt coming along?

the way i understand it is that the spring straps come with the fins as a standard. i've never heard of any other fin that comes with spring straps, so in a way this is revolutional.

boomx5:

The "line" was Seajay's, I found it funny too so, I don't mind taking the credit - sorry Seajay :)

underwater daphne:
the way i understand it is that the spring straps come with the fins as a standard. i've never heard of any other fin that comes with spring straps, so in a way this is revolutional.
Actually there's a new company producing Jetfin lookalikes that come standard with spring straps, too.

Back
Top Bottom