Solo Diving

Solo diving: which are you more likely to attempt?

• Solo freediving

Votes: 22 17.5%
  • Solo scuba

Votes: 44 34.9%
  • Neither!

Votes: 16 12.7%
  • I'm willing/have already tried both

Votes: 54 42.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I did say "Or have already done". I meant, did, done, willing to do, all of above.

Myself, I admit to having done both....... sometimes more intentionally than others.

I'm a bit confused! What's the gain of freediving with a buddy? I thought all freediving was basically solo. Or do you mean that someone else is there to pull you out of the water if you suffer shallow water blackout or some such?

That's what I mean. Yes the actual dive is conducted solo (usually) but in this case havinga buddy standing by on eht surface or just under, watching you and ready to come to your aid should anything go wrong.

Well, I checked have done both because I have solo dived with scuba, but my free dive probably doesn't qualify being a total of 30 seconds :)

DP

TheDivingPreacher:
Well, I checked have done both because I have solo dived with scuba, but my free dive probably doesn't qualify being a total of 30 seconds :)

DP
Hey man, I saw it written that 30 seconds or 30 feet, qualifies you. Welcome to the club........ :)

I solo scuba and solo freedive. While I support solo scuba, I would strongly recommend freedive with buddy. If you have to freedive solo, please be conservative.

Kim:
I'm a bit confused! What's the gain of freediving with a buddy? I thought all freediving was basically solo. Or do you mean that someone else is there to pull you out of the water if you suffer shallow water blackout or some such?
Lot's of gain there Kim... it's a lot easier to push for personal bests of time and depth with a buddy, the comfort level for longer bottom times and deeper depths is increased because you know someone is there for you... yes.. if you suffer from swb or other some such (kinda like a buddy while scubadiving.. in case you suffer from some mechanical failure of equipment or dcs or embolism or some such) + while freediving with a buddy there's always the fun of a little friendly and safe competition if you are so inclined. Myself, and I'm sure other freedivers, never feel limited on what depth you can go to with a buddy.. but always feel limited on what depth you can go to while going solo. AND.. with a buddy, if you're using a drop line, you don't have to always pull it up yourself!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom