How deep will you go while freediving solo?

What depth do you try to limit yourself to while solo freediving?

• 150' or more (feet, not meters)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 125' - 150'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100' - 125'

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 75' - 100'

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • 50' - 75'

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • 25' - 50'

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • 15' - 25'

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • less than 15'

Votes: 17 18.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

holdingmybreath

Contributor
Reaction score
What's your personal limit when you're out freediving on your own? Or at least.. what do you try to stay around for maximum depth while alone? In another thread I'll have to ask what the vis is like.. 100' or more.. 2' or less..

holdingmybreath:
What's your personal limit when you're out freediving on your own? Or at least.. what do you try to stay around for maximum depth while alone? In another thread I'll have to ask what the vis is like.. 100' or more.. 2' or less..
Actually,when I am freediving alone (I try and make this a rarity) I use time as my personal limit instead of depth. I try and keep my dives (training dives) between 2:30 and 3:30, regardless of depth.

Since burying my friend last year who died solo (shallow, too - he actually died in about six feet of water) I don't freedive by myself anymore.
And I don't recommend anyone else does either.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Since burying my friend last year who died solo (shallow, too - he actually died in about six feet of water) I don't freedive by myself anymore.
Rick

Sorry about your friend.

P.S. I am a solo diver. Nowwhere man please listen doop doop, nowwhere man ooo nowwhereman-the beatles

Rick Murchison:
Rick
Rick, Sorry about your friend that passed away last year. A life changing event for you it sounds like. Tragedy can have that effect for sure, and I understand your not recommending to anyone else to freedive solo.. and that's a good thing, don't get me wrong, but I'm pretty sure every freediver I know personally dives solo.. solo diving is a fact of life in most areas because you may be the only extreme snorkeler for miles and not diving until you have a buddy would mean not diving at all or very seldom. So, I'm curious about what kinda limits all those solo divers are putting on themselves.. like Freediver using the clock (I try to do that on shallower dives) and me just going to the bottom say for the sake of equalizing under pressure I use depth as a limit. The reason I posted this is because I'm considering pushing my solo limit..(again)...and wanted to see where others were at.

Rick, extreme sorrow in the loss of your friend. HMB, I may be one of the few to understand you since I am an avid (and extreme) freediver. There are not many (esp. in my area) that entertain my idea of holding a lungful of air. "What? You are taking a breath and doing what?", is a common response. Training buddies are hard to find. I do have a couple of serious partners but we can't get together as much as we would all like, therefore, solo does occur at times. However, I do not attempt PB's going solo.

with SWB being ever present or possible I can't believe anybody would be stupid enough to solo freedive, think of all of the things that could go wrong, especially on a deeper dive. If you want to practice your breathhold skills, do so laying on your couch, or walk around if you want to exert yourself, a lot less likely to drown if you pass out in your living room than at the bottom of the ocean. Where I freedive we have kelp, and more than once I have gotten stuck in it, once only 6 feet from the surface. Luckily I got out and had a buddy, but without a buddy, it could have been days before they found my body, if ever

15 feet at the most, can't hold my breath longer than that :)

Justin699:
with SWB being ever present or possible I can't believe anybody would be stupid enough to solo freedive, .....((clipped))
So now I and about a gazzillion other freedivers (edit - yeah, I wish there was a gazzillion of us) are stupid?? easy there.. like I've said.. here it's either go it alone or you'll only go on very rare occassions...or never. Did you read the question? How deep do you go when solo? for me it's about 1/2 the distance of my personal deepest depth.. for others maybe it's 1/2 the time of their longest dive. You would have to be stupid to believe that I was taking about pushing to limits of swb. And when you hear of a freediver drowning, I always wonder.. was it because they hyperventilated? packed to much? tried a negative dive? dove beyond their limits for that day. shallow water blackout is not "ever present".. it's present when you push your limits for that day. In that I'd say you may be less then smart if you're pushing your limits alone, but surely not if you are well within your limts. If you're well within your limits.. maybe that's using your head eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom