Who makes the best SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I need to replace mine. I want it to be small enough to fit in a pocket with a finger reel. Thoughts?

overexposed2X:
I need to replace mine. I want it to be small enough to fit in a pocket with a finger reel. Thoughts?

How large is the pocket? The answer to that will determine what you can actually
utilize.

overexposed2X:

Apples and chainsaws.

"Best" and "fits in pocket" are mutually exclusive, as some amount of "best" has to be "freaking huge", and another component is likely to be "closed or semi-closed with OPV" which also goes against "fits in pocket".

At the "fits in pocket" end: I like the Ocean Reef sausage. It's open-ended, but has a couple of soft lead plates sewn in at the open end that both help the mouth stay closed and help keep it upright. Rolls up very small while still very durable.

At the other end of the world are the real SMBs (closed or semi-closed, with OPV). (I have yet to see one that would come even close to fitting in a thigh-pocket, unless maybe you took up the whole pocket.) These are the OMS, DiveRite, Triple-L, etc.

(As it happens, I have both the Ocean Reef and the OMS sausages -- I haven't used the Ocean Reef since I got the OMS, and it's currently clean, dry, and looking for a buyer. For me, though, rolled-up size wasn't as big an issue.)

i really like this Carter SMB.

Visable, functional and tough IMO.

gedunk:

I use a 6 ft Halcyon SMB, with the OPV valve removed. The valve is at the bottom of the SMB when inflated. My adjustment makes this a semi-closed SMB, and allows you to fill it either by the regulator, by mouth, or by an inflator hose.

gedunk:

When I was researching SMBs I read several positive comments (especially from those in the UK) about Carter, but was never able to find a real picture of one -- just an incredibly poorly drawn cartoon that looks like a 6-year-old using MSPaint drew it. Not at any retailer's site, not at Carter's own site, nowhere.

The Carter bag is heavy-duty ... but it's bulkier than some others. I use the Oxycheq semi-closed. I can fit the bag and spool in a bellows pocket. The Halcyon SMBs roll up even smaller, and are easier to store.

OE2X ... if you want to see a Carter bag first-hand, ask Cheryl next time you dive with her. That's what she uses.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why would a semi-closed need an OPV?

jonnythan:
Why would a semi-closed need an OPV?

Perhaps because the opening of the bag is very narrow and the OPV is merely
redundant, rather than superfluous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom